LPN- Float Pool
Req #: 29018
Job Summary: The Licensed Practical Nurse functions as an integral member of the interdisciplinary healthcare team in providing direct patient care. The LPN scope of practice utilizes the nursing process and is defined within the Maine Nurse Practice Act. The LPN while under the direction of a Registered Nurse or Licensed Provider, practices with minimal supervision and in accordance with CMH's clinical and departmental policies and procedures. The LPN, assists clinically in the delivery of patient care, acts as the patient's advocate, aides in directing nursing activities to Certified Nursing Assistants, provides clerical support, and promotes teamwork with co-workers, staff, providers, and personnel in other departments while exhibiting the values of CMH. The LPN, communicates effectively with members of the health care team about a patient's condition, symptomatology, and results of diagnostic studies.
Job Functions and Duties:
- Participate in bedside rounding report to registered nurses coming on duty and including the patient when practical to provide necessary information and facilitate the delivery of excellent patient care.
- Conduct hourly patient rounds in conjunction with other nursing staff; to enhance patient safety, satisfaction and quality of care. Report problems to registered nurse and/or appropriate team members and initiate corrective action when necessary.
- Identify patient problems and emergency situations and initiate emergency care and "life-saving" measures per BLS and other protocols and policies.
- Act as a resource for and assist C.N.A. staff in ensuring direct patient care is provided
- Administration and document direct patient care, medications and treatments per physicians' orders within the EMR in accordance with hospital policy.
- Work collaboratively with CMH Pharmacy and in compliance with all state and federal regulations in the handling, administration, storage and destruction of pharmaceuticals.
- Notify registered nurse and other personnel as necessary, of changes in patients' conditions and take appropriate follow-up action.
- Assure housekeeping tasks are completed on unit in accordance with policy. Maintain clean patient rooms, restock as needed and change bed linen according to hospital practice.
- Perform electrocardiograms including proper electrode placement.
- Ensure the documentation meets current standards and policies.
- Answer telephone/intercom in a polite manner and communicates information to the appropriate personnel.
- Communicate appropriately and clearly to nurse managers, supervising RN, co-workers, and providers.
- Treat patients and families with respect and dignity, identifying and addressing psychosocial, cultural, ethnic and religious/spiritual needs of patients and family.
- Interact professionally with providers and staff.
- Promote the mission, vision and values of the organization.
- Maintain a good working relationship both within the department and with other departments.
- Interpret existing policies and procedures to nursing assistants, patients, families and physicians when necessary.
- Attends mandatory in-services on fire safety, electrical safety, infection control, and body mechanics. Successfully completes competency-based training in each area.
- Follows all employee health procedures, incident reporting, and infection control requirements at all times, as appropriate to the position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to handle difficult situations involving patients, physicians and others in a professional manner.
- Working knowledge of procedures and techniques involved in administering routine and special treatments to patients.
- Knowledge of anatomy and physiology of the heart in relation to waves, complexes, time and voltage as shown through the conduction system and strip interpretation.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks or activities simultaneously, provide quality patient service, prioritize and use critical thinking.
- Demonstrate an ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
- Effectively communicate with patients in a supportive and tactful manner.
- Identify and apply effective service recovery opportunities.
- Ability to remain calm in a busy or stressful situation.
- Represent the organization in a positive manner by maintaining a pleasant and helpful demeanor, and presenting a professional appearance toward all internal and external customers at all times.
- Support, and encourages strong morale within the team and maintain effective, professional relationships with others.
- Ability to be flexible and tolerant of a fast changing environment.
- Desire to learn new specialties, systems, and processes.
- Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops and professional affiliations to keep abreast of latest trends and legal requirements.
- Participates in unit based committees or hospital based council and/or committees.
Education and Experience:
- Must possess a current, unencumbered, active license to practice as an LPN in the State of Maine.
- Telemetry Certification or ability to obtain certification within one year of hire.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required within six months of hire.
- Must be proficient with basic computer skills
OUR PURPOSE & VALUES:
Our mission is to provide exceptional healthcare services in a safe and trustful environment through expertise, commitment and compassion of our team members, with the vision of safe, reliable, high quality care for each patient, every day.
How do we make this happen? By creating and maintaining a culture where our values of compassion, integrity, citizenship, service excellence and community are lived out in observable behaviors during all interactions.
ABOUT CENTRAL MAINE HEALTHCARE:
Central Maine Healthcare (CMH) is an integrated healthcare delivery system serving 400,000 people living in central, western, and mid-coast Maine. CMH's hospital facilities include Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston, Bridgton Hospital, and Rumford Hospital. CMH also supports Central Maine Medical Group, a primary and specialty care practice organization. Other system services include the Central Maine Heart and Vascular Institute, a regional trauma program, LifeFlight of Maine's southern Maine base, the Central Maine Comprehensive Cancer Center, and other high quality clinical services.
About Central Maine Medical Center
Central Maine Medical Center (CMMC) located in Lewiston, is a Level II Trauma Center serving Androscoggin County and the surrounding region. "CMMC's Centers of Excellence" include the Central Maine Heart and Vascular Institute, the Central Maine Comprehensive Cancer Center, the Neonatal Intermediate Care Unit, and a Trauma Services Program. CMMC is also the southern Maine base for LifeFlight of Maine, the state's only medical helicopter service. Supported by the latest technologies, CMMC's skilled professionals provide outstanding care delivered with compassion, kindness, and understanding. Learn more at: www.cmmc.org.
About Bridgton Hospital
Part of Central Maine Healthcare, Bridgton Hospital serves the town of Bridgton and surrounding areas in Maine as part of an integrated regional healthcare system committed to improved access and a uniform standard of care. Bridgton Hospital was named as one of 17 top rural hospitals in the nation for the third consecutive year in 2018.
About Rumford Hospital
Part of Central Maine Healthcare, Rumford Hospital serves the town of Rumford and surrounding areas in Maine as part of an integrated regional healthcare system committed to improved access and a uniform standard of care. In 2018, Rumford Hospital was named one of 17 top rural hospitals in the nation by the Leapfrog Group; in 2016, it was designated a Pathway to Excellence® organization by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Learn more at: www.rumfordhospital.org.
Central Maine Healthcare is equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
© 2021 HealthcareSource HR, Inc. All Rights Reserved.