The LPN functions under the supervision and guidance of the Nursing Supervisor or Physician and participates in the multi-disciplinary process of providing care and treatment to patients and provides clinical support and technical assistance to the professional medical and other staff. The LPN is responsible for functioning within the scope of practice dictated by the authority of the Cetnral Maine Healthcare. Individual must be able to manage demanding workload with accuracy. Position requires excellent customer service skills with patients, and their families, other staff, physicians, vendors, and the public.
Essential Standard Job Function
- Rooming patients: Collecting pertinent information regarding the patient's chief complaint, family history, social history, surgical history, and medication reconciliation upon arrival for a patient visit.
- Telephone Interactions: As directed, completing necessary telephone communications with patients, families, pharmacies, and/or other health care facilities. Gathering information and maintaining patient information via telephone per department specific processes and policies.
- Administrative tasks including, but not limited to, patient check in or check out, prior authorizations, scheduling appointments, verification of benefits, and coordination of referrals and testing.
- Office procedures as directed and per department specific competencies. May perform procedures such as urine catheterizations, bladder scanning, suture or staple removal, application or removal of casts at the direction of a provider, reading results of negative TB skin tests or steering patient to the care of a department nurse when TB screening appears to have indications of a positive read, and other diagnostic testing at the point of care.
- Provide patient with written instructions regarding procedures, medications, or follow up instructions at the direction of the provider. CMA staff may retrieve and provide condition specific education from the internet, internal website, or printed materials per the provider directions and orders.
- Administer medications per the provider order.
- Provide assistance with prescription medication refills per department protocols. Call medications into pharmacies, notify patients of refills, and documents actions within the EMR per provider orders.
- Maintain department specific competencies related to point of care testing, equipment handling, and specialty training.Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Capacity to learn and retain information. Strong customer service skills.
- Compassion and caring in dealing with others. Ability to operate office equipment. Proficiency in basic computer skills.
Department Specific Job Function
- Vital signs during rooming process & stocking rooms
- Medication reconciliation
- Medication refill request
- Point of Care testing & processing lab specimens
- Prior authorizations, completing forms, clear coverage for HAMPEDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
• Current LPN license required.
• Basic Life Support (BLS) certification is required.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
• Ability to assess, plan, implement and evaluate nursing care according to individual needs.
• Must demonstrate an understanding of clinical risk.
• Must demonstrate consistent professional conduct and meticulous attention to detail.
• Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as excellent interpersonal skills with patients, staff, and other health care professionals.
• Familiarity with EMR systems a plus.
• Travel to any of the locations may be necessary upon request