Lab Technician II, Cardiovascular Medicine "Job Details"
Winston-Salem, NC, United States
- Medical Center Blvd, Winston Salem, NC, 27157, US
09/24/2021, 10:32 AM
Seeking a research technician to perform, duties specific to Dr. Giselle Melendez’s laboratory in the Cardiovascular Medicine Department. Under general supervision from the principal investigator and other research scientists, perform and analyze experiments in cell lines, rodents, non-human primate and human samples as part of studies aiming at understanding the underlying causes of heart failure as a side effect of cancer therapies. Will follow established laboratory protocols to prepare samples, run assays (such as ELISA, western blots, PCR, protein analyses, and other standard molecular biology approaches), and analyze data following established protocols. Will work as part of a research team, and assist in other research-related projects as needed.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or GED equivalent with clinical laboratory experience.
SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS
- Excellent communication skills, organization, flexibility, and an eagerness to learn are essential.
- Experience using Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word are a must to facilitate data entry and maintenance of data files.
- Animal experience ideal but not essential.
- In addition to having excellent intrapersonal skills, candidate must be able to work both independently and within a team.
- Confer with principal investigator and assist in the development of plans for research experiments and data collection procedures; modify existing laboratory procedures and protocols to meet the needs of research projects as required.
- Conducts generally standardized biochemical and molecular biology assays, including but not limited to ELISAs, western blots, PCR on experimental samples.
- Performs basic stains as well as immunohistochemistry and operates light and fluorescence microscopes for digital image acquisition.
- Handles research animals with various pathogens and assist/performs minor animal surgery.
- Collects and prepares tissues and specimens for laboratory analysis.
- Perform cell isolations and maintain cell cultures.
- Sets up equipment and organizes materials used in performing scheduled tests and experiments.
- Provide maximum care in specimen identification. Maintain correct and complete tissue identification at all times.
- Maintain laboratory records and prepare detailed reports on the results of experiments; discuss the interpretation of results with principal investigator.
- Review information concerning experimental procedures and supplemental support information; organize information for use in applicable research projects.
- Request and maintain inventory of supplies, materials, and equipment as needed for laboratory operations.
- Perform other related duties related to the work described herein.
- Research laboratory environment
- Frequent exposure to diseases, medicinal preparations and other conditions common in a lab environment
- Exposure to glass and other breakable objects
- Exposure to animals
- Must wear protective equipment (gloves, gowns/lab coats, eye protection, face protection)
Wake Forest Baptist Health and Atrium Health have joined forces in a strategic combination that will enhance care, transform medical education and create economic opportunity for countless lives in North Carolina and beyond. As a part of that combination, the two health systems will be integrating technology and platforms, including our career sites.
This means that although you are applying on the Wake Forest Baptist Health Career Site, you receive communications from the Atrium Health Recruitment Team. Please know that this is an expected process, and thanks in advance for your flexibility.
Wake Forest Baptist Health (www.WakeHealth.edu) is a nationally recognized academic health system in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, with an integrated enterprise including educational and research facilities, hospitals, clinics, diagnostic centers, and other primary and specialty care facilities serving 24 counties in northwest North Carolina and southwest Virginia.
It comprises: a regional clinical system with more than 300 locations, 2,100 physicians and 1,535 acute care beds; Wake Forest School of Medicine; and Wake Forest Innovations, which promotes the commercialization of research discoveries and operates Innovation Quarter, an urban research and business park specializing in biotechnology, materials science and information technology. Wake Forest Baptist’s clinical, research and educational programs are consistently ranked among the best in the country.
About the Team
Wake Forest Baptist Health's mission is to improve the health of our region, state and nation by:
- Generating and translating knowledge to prevent, diagnose and treat disease.
- Training leaders in health care and biomedical science.
- Serving as the premier health system in our region, with specific centers of excellence recognized as national and international care destination.
Wake Forest Baptist Health is a preeminent learning health system that promotes better health for all through collaboration, excellence and innovation.
- Demonstrate the highest standards of patient-centered care, education, research and operational effectiveness
- Responsive to the physical, emotional, spiritual and intellectual needs of all
- Cultivate selfless contribution for the greater good
- Demonstrate fairness, honesty, sincerity and accountability
- Demonstrate respect for and inclusion of all backgrounds, identities, experiences, and perspectives
- Foster mutual respect, facilitate professional growth and mentorship, and reward teamwork and collaboration
- Promote creativity to enhance discovery and the application of knowledge
- Embrace a culture of reliability through better process design and accountability
Patient and Family Promise
We promise to:
- Keep you safe.
- Care for you.
- Involve you and your family.
- Respect you and your time.