Search Our Jobs
State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Lab Support Assistant - 40 Hours - Evening
The hours of this position are 03:00p-11:30p EST. Rotating Weekends and Holidays Required.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 41682BR
Job Summary: Enters patient test orders and demographic information into the computer system.
- Enters specimen demographics and test orders into the computer. Adds tests, when requested , to the appropriate specimen type. Identifies and labels specimens according to protocol. Packages specimens safely for transport. Appropriately handles specimens upon arrival at the laboratory. Processes both routine and STAT specimens, according to protocol.
- Processes and aliquots specimens to meet service goals. Stores specimens in the appropriate location and maintains the integrity of the specimens at all times. Retrieves specimens for add on. Identifies, labels and processes specimens for testing, while following all standard operating and safety procedures.
- Answers the telephone promptly and courteously.
- Maintains a clean and well-stocked work area.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Strong keyboard skills required that reflect speed, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Laboratory experience.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to understand spoken English in order to follow basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively in basic English with patients, families and medical center staff in response to routine questions.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
EOE StatementBIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
VaccinesAs a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
BIDMC is proud to be recognized LinkedIn as one of their Top Companies Boston
BIDMC Named Top 25 Hospitals in the Nation to Work For
Recognized in 100 Great Hospitals in America
How to Apply