State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Lab Animal Tech II
Req ID: 37917BR
Job Summary: Provides daily husbandry care and maintenance required for the health and cleanliness of research animals and their housing facilities in accordance with established procedures and schedules which adhere to State and Federal regulations and accrediting agencies guidelines (AAALAC).
Provides technical assistance with procedures to include bloodletting, parasite screens and routine treatments under the direction of the Supervisor.
Assist research staff as needed.
- Provides daily husbandry care to research animals according to department standard operating procedures, state and federal regulations and accrediting agency guidelines. These duties include but not limited to; providing clean sanitized caging material, fresh food and water and environmental enrichment on a scheduled and as needed basis.
- Monitors animal health and well being in assigned areas. Reports all signs of illness to the Supervisor immediately. Completes all required reporting documents and cage notification cards.
- Assists with the sentinel surveillance program. Performs bloodletting , fur plucks and fecal testing on sentinel animals according to the departments standard operating procedure. Prepares samples for transport to offsite diagnostic laboratory.
- Houses newly arriving animal colonies according to department standard operating procedures. Ensures that orders match the posted incoming animal log and assigned cage cards. Reports errors immediately to the Supervisor.
- Provides technical assistance with animal treatments and health monitoring of colony animals. Reports any concerns to the Supervisor. May assist research staff with training in commonly used techniques such as restraint, bloodletting and injections.
- High School diploma or GED required .
- Certificate 1 preferred: Laboratory Animal Technician, and Certificate 2 preferred: Asst Laboratory Animal Tech
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Two years experience working with laboratory animals including specialized husbandry techniques.
- Knowledge of basic animal technical procedures such as restraint, bloodletting, sample collection and routine treatments for laboratory animals.
- Must be able to work well as part of a team and follow detailed instruction and carry through with minimal supervision. Must not be overly allergic to animals so as to affect ability to work with laboratory animals.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Certification at the AALAS Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician or Laboratory Animal Technician levels.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
Actor John Krasinski spreads some good news at BIDMC
BIDMC Named Top 25 Hospitals in the Nation to Work For
BIDMC recognized as a leader in “LGBTQ Healthcare Equality”
How to Apply