Internal Communications Manager
Job ID: 95412
Area of Interest: Professionals
Location: Towson,MD US
Hours of Work: M-F, 8a-4p
Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical System
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
Under the supervision of the Senior Director, or designee, the Internal Communications Manager is responsible for working closely with organization leaders, Marketing and Communications Shared Service colleagues and other system Shared Services professionals to provide expertise and direction in the utilization of communications platforms to manage the internal communication campaigns and activities. These activities include, but are not limited to, mission-critical internal communications projects assigned UMMS affiliate. Duties entail supporting organizational strategic goals through writing, editing, and/or acquiring content, working with colleagues daily to help achieve organizational goals related to employee engagement and communicating to workforce in support of optimal compliance, engagement, quality/safety, and patient experience. Position has frequent interaction and visibility with leadership, and is a key contributor to significant internal communications initiatives. Individual is a driver of internal brand messaging and seeks avenues to promote organizational priorities.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Creates narratives and key messages for major internal communication campaigns, including coordination of design, production, and distribution schedule .for internal publications and forums such as Managers/Leadership meetings. Partner with leadership develop strategy and communicate projects.
2. Collaborates with leadership to develop and execute key internal communications projects in support of strategic organizational goals. Responsibilities include drafting leader messaging and highlights; developing communications plans for leadership review and managing through completion; and assisting with other internal or employee communication needs as needed by leadership.
3. Manages on-site internal communications at assigned UMMS affiliate. Includes day-to-day oversight of Intranet, working with hospital leadership to help plan strategy and execute plans to meet or exceed goals, acting as liaison to departmental intranet content managers, updating content on the intranet content management systems (CMS) and adhering to production deadlines for updates.
4. Develop productive and effective cross-functional relationships with Shared Services colleagues. Act as a liaison with Marketing, Communications and Community Health teams to develop and drive community outreach programs by educating and engaging staff about volunteer opportunities and community outreach. Also works closely with Media and Marketing teams to identify stories/milestones for enhanced internal visibility to drive employee pride and engagement.
5. Execute significant editorial review and content maintenance of the Intranet, including uploading edited or new material. Editorial responsibilities include working with hospital leaders and site section owners to ensure content is timely, appropriate and accurate; reviewing site content for errors, broken links and outdated content and making the necessary changes; ensuring content meets all functional and graphic standards, and follows best practices; working with departmental intranet content managers to maintain standards and currency of content; helping to maintain the internal site search engine to simplify finding information.
6. Serves as internal communications lead for local Human Resource projects such as new employee orientation, annual training and the employee engagement survey. Responsible for working with colleagues at all levels to ensure communications are timely, accurate and helpful in terms of meeting HR’s goals and objectives.
7. Serves as internal communications lead for IS&T Shared Services, managing all aspects of communication for projects such as Epic/Portfolio, IS&T mobile and network updates, various system upgrades and downtimes, employee remote network access to our servers and more.
8. Works closely with all departments to develop productive working relationships and effective communications strategies that emphasize UMMS corporate message and campaigns. Communicates project updates and plans with key stakeholders both internally and externally. Manages deadlines and multiple projects simultaneously. Completes work quickly and with high attention to detail.
9. Serves as Public Information Officer for Hospital Incident Command Structure, responsible for hospital-wide communication during operational interruptions, facilities issues, and weather events.
10. Maximize communication and efficient management of projects such as employee engagement outreach and employee wellness initiatives.
11. Maximize employee engagement opportunities as main communications contact for workgroups such as Employee Advisory Councils and Employee Engagement Committees.
12. Has potential to manage staff as department needs evolve in the future.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Education and Experience
1. Bachelor’s degree with a concentration in Communications, Journalism, English, Marketing, Business or a related field is required.
2. 7-10 years of hospital, corporate and/or agency communications experience is required.
3. Experience with at least one web content management system required.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Hello, my name is Meena Williamson and I'm a recruiter with UMMS. What I enjoy most about working for UMMS is that I have a great talent acquisition team, we work together as change agents and ambassadors for UMMS, and we are actively interacting with candidates, helping them to become employed. And we have a great leadership team that supports us and provides us with the resources we need to be successful in our roles as recruiters. I enjoy the comradery. I enjoy meeting all of the candidates and the managers and it's a really rewarding opportunity to be here with UMMS. Thank you for watching this video and I hope you can join us sometimes.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW