JOB SUMMARY: Ensures compliance with Infection Control policies and procedures throughout the Medical Center as defined in the institutional Infection Control Plan scope of practice. Duties include health care associated infection surveillance and identification, prevention and control measures of infectious diseases, guiding activities of infectious disease isolation, offering consultation on regulatory agency compliance, and communicating with the Medical Center community related to educational material pertaining to infectious diseases.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Graduation from an accredited School of Nursing with one year experience in infection control required. Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing (BSN), BS or MS in related healthcare field such as Microbiology or Medical Terminology preferred.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, and/or REGISTRATION: Certified in Infection Control (CIC) per the eligibility requirements by the Certification Board of Infection Control (CBIC) required within 2.5 years of employment date.
1. Consults with administrators and clinicians to develop processes and implements operational procedures that minimize the spread of hospital acquired infections.
2. Presents infection control information to patient care teams and makes recommendations for improvement of patient care related to control of infections in patients.
3. Collects and distributes Medical Center information to Quality of Care committees and requesting bodies. Ensures data is accurate and free from error.
4. Conducts healthcare acquired infection surveillance for health care associated infections as outlined in the Infection Control Plan. Collects, analyzes and reports complete, accurate surveillance data. Provides reports related to health care associated infections to the Infection Control Committee.
5. Recommends the indicated isolation precautions and management of communicable diseases. Assesses patient clinical/infectious status to ensure approved/appropriate precautions are implemented. Conducts unit and departmental rounds on a routine basis to monitor isolation precautions. Initiates exposure work-up protocol if an inadvertent exposure occurs in an assigned area of the Medical Center. Assesses the suitability of patient rooms for the type of isolation being recommended.
6. Incorporates infection control standards into hospital-wide and departmental infection control policies. Prepares and reviews Medical Center infection control policies to ensure that these policies reflect findings in current scientific literature or infection control standards, guidelines and regulations (e.g., CDC, OSHA, JCAHO APIC). Serves as a liaison between hospital departments and the Infection Control Committee so that approved infection control policies are incorporated into the delivery of services.
7. Serves as a consultant on all infection control issues. Conducts unit and departmental rounds on a routine basis to assess physical environment and clinical practice patterns. Measures compliance with current infection control standards. Assists with the evaluation of new equipment or products to ensure that they provide the elements necessary to prevent the spread of infection and can be adequately disinfected.
8. Serves as a consultant/resource for questions related to Federal, state and local regulatory infection control requirements including but not limited to Blood borne Pathogens, Communicable Disease Rules, Sanitation Rules and NC rules for licensure of hospitals.
9. Participates in educational programs. Conducts in-service education programs for the prevention and control of infection for all health care staff through orientation of new employees. Presents annual programs aimed specifically to meet regulatory requirements (OSHA) and departmental continuing education needs.
10. Protects self, co-workers, and facility by developing, maintaining, and following approved policies and procedures to prevent the spread of bloodborne or airborne infections. Uses work practice techniques, engineering controls, and PPE for specific procedures. Serves as a role model for all staff.
11. Ensures age/developmentally appropriate patient/customer care is provided in accordance with the Age Specific Care Guidelines for specific age groups served. Demonstrates knowledge of physical, motor/sensory, mental psychosocial, safety and developmental factors in the guidelines. Provides for age-specific knowledge related to disease processes and infections. Ensures staff is aware of diseases of every age. Maintains competence related to age-specific patient care by regularly updating knowledge of growth and development.
Excellent communication skills, motivation, initiative, and creative, team-driven approaches
Good presentation skills, including classroom presentation
Strong word processing, spreadsheet, and preparing data/report skills
Project management skills
Clean, comfortable, office environment
Subject to many interruptions and stressful situations
Occasionally subject to irregular hours
Ability to take after hours and weekend calls
Some travel to affiliates required
0% 35% 65%
to to to
35% 65% 100% N/A Activity
X Reaching with arms
X Finger and hand dexterity
Lifting, carrying, pushing and or pulling:
X 20 lbs. maximum
X 50 lbs. maximum
X 100 lbs. maximum
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must complete the application process and then submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button located at the bottom of the page titled "Submit Online Application". You will receive the following message once you hit the submit button: "You have successfully submitted your job application".
Computers are available for applying within the lobby of the Human Resources Department located at 1920 West First Street, (on the corner of Miller and First Street) Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27104. You may also call our office for assistance at (336) 716-6464. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact our Supervisor of Office Services by phone (336) 716-3367 or email at email@example.com.
It is the policy of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center to administer all educational and employment activities without discrimination because of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status (except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification or a statutory requirement) in accordance with all local, state, national laws, executive orders, regulations, and guidelines.