HR Business Partner
Job ID: 89463
Area of Interest: Professionals
Location: Linthicum,MD US
Hours of Work: M – F
Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical System
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
HR Business Partner
The University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) is currently seeking an HR Busines Partner for our Corporate offices in Linthicum, Maryland. UMMS is the fourth largest private employer in the Baltimore metropolitan area and one of the top 20 employers in the state of Maryland. We are a 14-hospital system with academic, community and specialty medical services reaching every part of Maryland and beyond. UMMS is a national and regional referral center for trauma, cancer care, Neurocare, cardiac care, women’s and children’s health and physical rehabilitation.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
- Develops and executes HR plans and strategies to accomplish business objectives for assigned areas. Ensures that human resource services delivered are value added, effective and consistent with both departmental and organizational business and strategic objectives.
- Provides necessary consulting support and takes proactive steps to enhance the growth of a performance-based culture in areas of assigned responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, providing consultation on performance management issues, fostering a learning environment and influencing leadership on appropriate rewards and recognition functions for their staff.
- Acts as the first point of contact for leadership group and employees. Consults with clients on a wide spectrum of HR issues related to guidance on performance management, workforce engagement, total compensation, human resources development and employment. Provides consulting advice and direct service where appropriate on total compensation and other HR specialty issues. Provides counsel on employment law related concerns such as ADA, FMLA, FLSA, Title VII, etc.
- Is proactive in identifying workforce engagement opportunities to improve and enhance the environment for the majority workforce and takes initiative in developing and implementing appropriate action plans. Works with assigned clients on complex employee issues (i.e. advocacy concerns, investigations, progressive discipline, harassment or discrimination allegations and workplace violence situations).
- Leads in the design, development and implementation of special projects and human resource initiatives, either as initiated by the HRBP or as assigned by the HRBP’s supervisor. These projects could involve organizational development strategies e.g. organizational restructuring or redesign, strategic planning, change management, leadership development, and conflict resolution.
- Participates in activities related to creating and maintaining a positive work environment. Works with represented staff as required under collective bargaining agreements, and manages to contracts.
- Coordinates, facilitates, and participates in preparing and conducting employee grievances, appeals, and external charges from agencies. May participate in administrative activities such as unemployment, Worker’s Compensation, and other employment-related programs as assigned by management.
- May perform other staff functions such as recruitment or other HR responsibilities depending on needs at local facility during transition to full Corporate Shared Services HR model
What You Need to Be Successful:
Education and Experience
- Three years of progressively responsible Human Resource experience, preferably in employee and labor relations, with emphasis on experience in healthcare or other human service organizations.
- B.A. or B.S. degree, preferably in Human Resources, Organizational Development or another related discipline is required. Masters degree in Business, H.R. or Organizational Design/Development preferred.
- Professional certification, either as a PHR (Professional in Human Resources) or SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources), or some equivalent certification is preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW