Job ID: 82793
Area of Interest: Professionals
Location: Baltimore,MD US
Hours of Work: M-F, 8a-4p
Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical Center
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
Under supervision of the Director for Project development, plans, designs, and evaluates control, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, central utility, conveyance, and medical gas systems, used in and proposed for the Medical Center. This work is associated with master and facility planning; project planning, design, construction, commissioning and acceptance;
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
- Facility Infrastructure Systems Planning: Understands the current infrastructure systems and assists the Sr. Hospital Engineer with the development and implementation of the infrastructure masterplan for UMMC facilities.
- Develops, maintains and promulgates engineering design standards for the Medical Center.
- Monitors existing standards, codes and regulations and keeps abreast on changes and new requirements, including The Joint Commission, Life Safety, Building Code, ASHRAE, and state and local regulations for plant construction and operations.
- Maintains and communicates engineering and design guidelines, and quality and performance standards for building system replacement or construction. Assures compliance of standards with all accreditation and regulatory bodies.
- Communicates standards to project managers and designers to ensure systems standards are being incorporated into the design, procurement, installation, repair or replacement of plant engineering systems.
- Assists the Senior Hospital Engineer, Senior Staff Architect, and Director of Project Development with Capital Planning.
- Construction Quality Review: As a member of the project team reviews completed work for professional adequacy, service and maintainability, and conformance with construction documents and hospital standards.
- Commissioning and Recommissioning: Monitors, inspects and evaluates new construction and existing physical plant of the hospital complex, including mechanical, electrical, energy, life safety, medical gas, and building systems, with the express purpose of commissioning and recommissioning to design standards and maximizing functionality. Manages consultants and engineers performing project commissioning activities.
- Performs Commissioning Activities on Small projects including (but not limited to) testing of building control systems, medical gas verifications, testing of lighting and lighting controls, and verifying electrical circuits
- Engineering Review and Guidance: Provides engineering review and guidance of assigned technical programs and capital project design documents. Reviews projects plans and specifications to ensure compliance with established standards and guidelines Validates load analysis; serviceability / maintainability; and conformance with hospital plant architecture, hospital operating concepts, and preferred sequence of operations.
- Engineering Studies: Organizes and conducts engineering studies of hospital systems through self-performance or procurement and over-site of outside consultants.
- Oversees and directs the work: of Architects, Industrial Hygienists, and Engineers and consultants on various hospital facilities and construction projects as needed.
What You Need to Be Successful:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering required. Master’s degree preferred. A Registered Professional Engineer’s license within the state of Maryland is preferred.
- Five (5) years of experience with healthcare (or other high performance central plant) systems engineering design, planning, or plant operations is preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Working with staff to understand the clinical environment and how patients respond to illness brings me joy to my life. It has helped to enrich my professional career, and hopefully I have helped to enrich the professional lives of others.
All current and new team members, Medical Staff and partners, including contractors, volunteers and students, must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious exemption.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW