State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Food Service Work-Cook
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 37937BR
Job Summary: The Cook produces food products, in accordance with standardized recipes, for sale in the cafeteria, use on the patient trayline or use in catering. This position produces high-volume food products and adheres to standard policies, established production planning system and recording systems as assigned.
- Responsible for hot and cold food production. Follows standardized recipes while preparing soups, salads, entrees, gravies, side dishes, baked goods, desserts, etc. Cuts, slices, dices, measures, mixes, etc. all types of food products according to standardized recipes. Assembles into a useable meal.
- Able to differentiate between a quality and substandard product. Reacts appropriately to a poor product. Presents food in a wholesome and eye appealing manner, using appropriate garnishes. Operates all types of food service equipment (mixers, slicers, vertical cutters, ovens, grills, steamers, fryers, food processors, etc.) safely, including the safe cleaning, sanitizing and equipment storage.
- Organizes, prioritizes and coordinates separate production activities of multiple meal tickets to ensure that all plates meet the standards for quality, temperature and presentation. Gives priority to Diabetic trays and trays that have been in the queue for a longer time.
- Communicates with the starter position for which trays to set up according to the amount of time required to prepare needed food items. Coordinates production activity with other members of the production team working to support the preparation of food from assigned work areas. (Grill, broiler, deli station, Fryer, stove top, Turbo chef).
- Prevents cross contamination of food products. Stores and identifies all food products. Records any unusable or unsafe food and notifies the supervisor. Ensures the maintenance, sanitation, and temperature of food storage areas to meet HACCP standards.
- Some High School required. Vocational or Technical training in Culinary Arts preferred.
- Certificate 1 Serve Safe preferred.
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- Basic math skills (ability to use and calculate measurements).
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Three years food production experience in a high-volume food service establishment.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
Actor John Krasinski spreads some good news at BIDMC
BIDMC Named Top 25 Hospitals in the Nation to Work For
BIDMC recognized as a leader in “LGBTQ Healthcare Equality”
How to Apply