Food Access Assistant
PT NBE Less Than 20 Hours
2 days agoRequisition ID: 1551
The Food Access Assistant plays an important role as a member of the Prevention Services team, helping to increase access to information and resources that support the health and well-being of everyone in the communities Harbor Health serves. The Food Access Assistant helps to operate the weekly food pantry on Tuesdays at Daniel Driscoll-Neponset Health Center and participates in other food access programming as needed. Position is 10 hours weekly, Tuesdays 7:30 AM - 5:30 PM.
- Assists in operating the weekly food pantry at Daniel Driscoll-Neponset Health Center on Tuesdays between 7:30 AM and 5:30 PM:
- Unloads food and other items, lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds, navigating narrow passageways, and adjusting to weather conditions.
- Greets food pantry clients in a friendly and pleasant manner, while navigating cultural and language differences.
- Records client attendance in an Excel database.
- Assists new clients in filling out registration form and captures demographic data.
- Packs bags of food to be distributed using nutrition guidelines.
- Assists in tracking of inventory and placing orders.
- Assists in data collection and reporting for grant funders and other stakeholders.
- Assists with client food access needs, including food pantry deliveries and WIC client shopping.
- Participates in seasonal community assistance programs, including but not limited to Thanksgiving food access and holiday toys for children.
Preferred/Required Education, Experience and Skills:
- High school diploma or GED
- Proven effective communications skills with various populations of different cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Proven effective customer service skills.
- Experience working in a high-paced environment.
- Understanding of how social determinants and health disparities affect overall health preferred
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs and be avaialble to work on Tuesdays starting at 7:30 AM.
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish, English/Vietnamese. English/Haitian Creole, English/Cape Verde Creole or English/Portuguese preferred.
Harbor Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D.