Financial Receivable Coordinator / UMMS @ Hunt Valley
Job ID: 87277
Area of Interest: Clerical
Location: Hunt Valley,MD US
Hours of Work: M-F
Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical System
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
The University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) is a large multi- hospital system with academic, community and specialty medical services reaching every part of Maryland and beyond. UMMS is a national and regional referral center for trauma, cancer care, Neurocare, cardiac care, women’s and children’s health and physical rehabilitation. UMMS is the fourth largest private employer in the Baltimore metropolitan area and one of the top 20 employers in the state of Maryland. No organization will give you the clinical variety, the support, or the opportunities for professional growth that you’ll enjoy as a member of our team in our primarily remote environment. UMMS is currently seeking Financial Receivable Coordinators at our Hunt Valley location to fill positions in the following departments.
- Follow Up Insurance Collections
- Cash Posting
- Customer Service
*** High School Diploma required; Associates Degree preferred and 1 year work experience ***
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Responsible for defined accounts receivable greater than $3 Million. Accountable for reduction of net bad debt percentage to revenue equal to goals set by senior management.
2. Works with third party insurance and legal department to obtain maximum level of cash to reduce receivable.
3. Receives accounts to ensure accuracy of billing/charging utilizing knowledge of pre-certification / admission procedures to validate account status. Resolves any problems with billing or handling of accounts.
4. Handles patient concerns with professionalism and customer service skills. Relays any patient suggestions and complaints to immediate supervisor for review. Provides answers for patient’s questions in a reasonable response time.
5. Follows departmental guidelines for handling delinquent accounts.
A. Utilizes compassionate care program appropriately.
B. Researches all avenues of funding for patients who exhibit financial need.
C. Works with the Medical Assistance Eligibility team to refer patients through the Medical Assistance process.
6. Gathers and records data for the purpose of enhancing and perfecting collection procedures.
A. Shares information with the team to improve the integrity of data.
B. Shares information with administrator to solve existing problems with systems or data and effectively promotes avoidance of future problems.
7. Effectively updates and/or views data in all accessible systems. Develops financial databases to track financial progress of individual projects. Resolves issues proactively concerning uncompensated care by preparing and presenting reimbursement alternatives to reduce uncompensated care.
8. Establishes and maintains contact with departments and agencies to encourage communication among various hospital personnel. Develops contacts from other departments to assist in resolving issues effecting collection and recovery of accounts. Regularly pursues contact with outside sources for establishment of policy and procedure awareness. Promotes user access to insurance sites for the purpose of claim follow-up.
9. Assists supervisor with new staff training and may guide the work of clerical staff as necessary.
10. Accommodates visiting patients with accurate information and professionalism.
11. Refers accounts for appeals process when appropriate.
12. Promotes accuracy among all accounts by thoroughly reviewing each as a case study rather than on an account by account basis. Refers the patient to the appropriate department only if all attempts to resolve the patient’s concern have been exhausted.
13. Develops and maintains financial references, including guidelines for reimbursement, state and federal regulations, payor-specific reimbursement policies, procedures and resource material references.
A. Notifies supervisor of problem accounts which may lead to significant financial loss.
B. Develops letters as necessary to promote communication to patients on a large scale (i.e. O/P clinic visits, O/P
surgery, Series Patients).
As an employee of the University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS), you will enjoy a comprehensive benefits program designed with you and your dependents in mind. Subject to any eligibility waiting period, all of the benefits are available to regular full-time employees and most benefits are available to regular part-time employees who are regularly scheduled to work twenty (20) or more hours per week. Many benefits are provided at no cost to employees. For others, the cost is shared between UMMS and employees.
What You Need to Be Successful:
1. High School Diploma is required. Associate’s degree preferred.
2. One (1)year work experience required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Knowledge of collection laws, billing practices and medical terminology preferred.
2. Develops knowledge of current collection laws.
3. Demonstrated ability to perform mathematical calculations.
4. Demonstrated proactive problem-solving skills. Ability to interpret data and related information and discern trends, tendencies as well as determines appropriate course of action.
5. Ability to analyze financial data and use PC applications such as spreadsheets, word processing and database management packages at a proficient level. Must demonstrate ability to become a certified user of the hospital system to effectively bill accounts. Must demonstrate ability to become a certified user of the collection system to follow-up on accounts.
6. Highly effective oral and written communication skills are necessary in order to communicate effectively with clinicians, patients and insurance companies.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW