Fetal Ultrasonographer II
Job ID: 87251
Area of Interest: Allied Health
Location: Baltimore,MD US
Hours of Work: 8-4:30
Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical Center
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
MC Fetal Ultrasonographer II
Come elevate your skills and experience by working with a world class 800-bed, Magnet designated Academic Medical Center.
We are looking for talented professionals to join our team at the University of Maryland Medical Center.
Under limited supervision performs a variety of examinations utilizing diagnostic ultrasound in accordance with American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine (AIUM) guideline to assist the attending physician with diagnosis and treatment of pathologies.
- Operates technical ultrasound equipment and supplies sound waves to patients in accordance with standard operating procedures and according to departmental policies and procedures
- Greets and receives patients. Performs intake questionnaire and historical data collection as per departmental standards. Explains procedure to patients. Informs patient or physician of required preparation for particular exam.
- Positions patients for exam. Assists patients onto examining table, as appropriate, in accordance with department protocols.
- Performs ultrasound examinations exercising judgment as to which images to photograph. Selects the appropriate technical factors on equipment according to individual patient needs.
- Critiques sonograms for quality and accuracy, and analyzes data, documents summary of findings.
- Reports all potential or actual patient/equipment problems to the Fetal US Coordinator or designee.
- Recognizes and responds to emergency situations by utilizing CPR or contacting nursing or medical personnel.
- Utilizes “universal precautions” at all times when working with patients. Sets up and maintains a sterile field by utilizing sterile technique; opens sterile procedure trays where applicable.
- Uses monitoring equipment, blood pressure equipment, and related routine equipment to maintain continuous patient care while patient is undergoing ultrasound procedures.
- Identifies all sonograms by recording patient name, date, and time. Identifies anatomical structures accurately in computer system.
- Maintains and tracks the CAFC medical and reporting systems, assuring that it is updated, as appropriate, and available when needed.
- Cleans and disinfects ultrasound equipment according to infection control standards. Calibrates ultrasound equipment for correct exposure and magnification parameters. Performs minor maintenance on equipment, as needed.
- Maintains supplies needed on a daily basis by restocking according to inventory list in each exam / procedure room.
- Documents all equipment problems on maintenance /Biomed request forms.
- Assists physicians in performing invasive procedures, i.e. amniocentesis, CVS, lidocaine injections, and other fetal intervention procedures by handling equipment and preparing instrument trays under the direct supervision of the physician.
- Communicates effectively with patients, nurses, and physicians. Communicates information regarding sonography procedures requiring patient preparation.
- Completes records accurately, Enters patient information in reporting system, accurately and completely.
- Assists the receptionist and other support staff with routine office duties, as needed.
- Answers telephone, assists or direct callers.
- Instructs Ultrasound Technology students and residents and any other visitors on ultrasound procedures and techniques by demonstrating and explaining such.
- Precepts and mentors new staff as assigned by the Fetal US Coordinator/ Nurse Manager.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on the assigned unit. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possesses the ability to assess data reflective of the patient’s requirements relative to his or her age-specific needs, and provides the care needed as described in the unit/area/department policies and procedures. Demonstrates knowledge of fetal growth patterns, anomalies and associate pattern of anomalies.
- Articulates basic information to patient maintaining professional communication, sensitivity to potential diagnosis/abnormality. Provide client support as necessary.
- Attends in-service training programs and other relevant training sessions for professional growth and development and to meet professional registry requirements.
- Actively participates in unit based performance improvement initiatives. Performs related duties as required.
As a Team Member at UMMC, you’ll experience:
A supportive and collaborative work environment
A comprehensive benefits package including health, vision and dental coverage including prescription drug coverage, Tax-Free Savings Plans and more!
A highly competitive wage scale: Annual merit increases and a base wage scale that is measured against to market standards.
- Minimum Qualifications:Education and Experience
- Graduation from an AMA and/or CAAHP approved school of Ultrasound Technology required.
- Registered in Obstetrics and Gynecology or eligible for registry by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers required.
- Registry in OB/GYN expected within one year; NT certification expected within 2 years.
- CPR certification is required.
- One (1) year of experience performing diagnostic ultrasound studies preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
- Follow us on