Job ID: 84833
Area of Interest: Professionals
Location: Cheverly,MD US
Hours of Work: rotating as needed
Job Facility: University of Maryland Capital Region
Employment Type: Not Indicated
What You Will Do:
Reports to the Director of Cardiovascular Services. Responsible for maintaining equipment for endoscopic procedures. Assist nurse in maintaining department and supplies; assist in Endoscopy procedures.
The following job description covers the most significant duties performed, but does not exclude other work assignments not mentioned PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Decontaminates, cleans, processes, and assembles endoscopes, accessories and related equipment according to department standards.
a. Disassembles endoscopes and accessories. Performs manual cleaning procedure according to department standards.
b. Identifies and differentiates cleaning and disinfection procedures required based on type and complexity of accessories.
c. Connects endoscopes to processor to assure adequate disinfection using appropriate attachments for each type of endoscope.
d. Handles endoscopes properly to assure fiber optic integrity and avoid any damage
e. Stores endoscopes and accessories
f. Lubricates valves to prevent sticking
2. Assist with procedures under the direction of the physician.
a. Utilize accessories as requested to perform any therapeutic endoscopic procedure; i.e., biopsy, polypectomy.
3. Maintains a clean, orderly and safe unit and patient environment.
a. Prepares sets-up and cleans assigned procedure room according to department standards; including equipment, carts, counters, etc.
b. Cleans equipment in cleaning room and storeroom routinely
c. Reports malfunctioning or broken equipment and other safety hazards to charge nurse
d. Stocks and replenishes supplies on unit.
e. Assist in ordering supplies/maintaining inventory of department.
f. Demonstrates ability to operate and maneuver patient care equipment safely utilizing proper body mechanics
g. Practices infection control procedures and observes Universal Precautions (including appropriate use of personal protective equipment)
4. Tests patient care equipment for safe and proper functioning
a. Visually inspects and assembles all endoscopes and accessories before and after each use to assure all pieces are present and function properly.
b. Leak tests all flexible endoscope according to department procedure.
5. Provides safe, effective and efficient patient care under the supervision of a Registered Nurse.
a. Ensures patient comfort and safety of assigned patients at all times, maintains side rails, protective devices as defined by hospital standards.
b. Demonstrates competency in performing assigned nursing procedures to include vital signs (temperature, pulse, respirations, blood pressure, and oxygen saturations). Takes into consideration patient care requirements based on age specific needs or common problems and reports observations to registered nurse. Seeks guidance and direction as necessary in performing duties.
c. Observes and reports changes in patient condition to licensed personnel immediately.
Remains calm and effective in emergency situations.
1. Greets customers in courteous, friendly, respectful and professional manner at all times, including maintaining eye contact when appropriate.
2. Follows communication protocols to both internal and external customers, including introducing him/herself with job title and experience, asking open ended questions, such as “How may I be of help to you?” using the customer’s name as soon as it is learned.
3. Responds promptly and appropriately to customer questions/concerns/complaints and attempts immediate resolution.
4. Keeps customer’s information confidential, including public places such as elevators or the cafeteria.
5. Provides assistance and offers help immediately, including finding someone else to meet the request, if unable to
do so him/herself. Introduce other staff to customers when a hand-off occurs and explain that the
person will provide excellent service.
6. Demonstrates commitment to excellent service recovery when a customer’s expectations have not been met.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Required: Current Maryland in good standing as a N/A.
Life Support Certification: (Check all that apply)
Basic Life Support – Health Care Provider (BLS-HCP) Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP)
Education/Knowledge (see attached explanation sheet)
Attained Level: Entry level
Completed Course Work/Program:
Experience (years): Required: Less than one year Preferred: 1 – 3 years
Experience (describe required & preferred): Experience in an Endoscopy setting preferred.
Microsoft Office Suite Skill Level (see attached explanation sheet)
Word: Not applicable Excel: Not applicable
PowerPoint: Not applicable Access: Not applicable
Working knowledge of ICD-9 (Medical Coding)
Basic knowledge and working experience with Medical Terminology
Standard Office Equipment (list): Desktop/labtop computers
Medical Equipment (list):
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
- Follow us on