At Central Maine Healthcare our team members are committed to providing exceptional care and experiences for our community and for each other every day.
Position Summary: The Emergency Department Technician provides quality supportive patient care that involves direct and indirect patient care activities within the scope of practice under the direct supervision of the Emergency Department’s Registered Nurse or Physician.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Demonstrates Competency in the Following Areas:
1. Provides supportive care to Emergency Department patients under the direct supervision of the registered nurse or physician. Performs approved procedures per policy.
2. Demonstrates ability to work effectively as a multidisciplinary team member. Supports and assists team members in all activities.
3. Communicates in an effective and efficient manner with all documentation, and with all coworkers, patients and physicians.
4. Recognizes and reports appropriate data to the RN/MD/NP/PA.
5. Assists registered nurse and providers with assessments, examinations and treatment.
6. Performs other duties as in services, including crutch walking, dressing changes and assisting physician with splint or cast application.
7. Adheres to hospital policy addressing standard precautions, safety regulations and guidelines.
8. Assists with patient transfers.
9. Responds to patient and visitor questions and needs immediately and within established standards.
10. Maintains patient comfort and privacy.
11. Maintains and prepares rooms between patients and procedures.
12. Assists with preparation of equipment for procedures.
13. Monitors stock and restocks supplies as needed in the Emergency Department.
14. Transports patients and supplies to diagnostic departments, nursing units.
15. Acts as a clinical preceptor for students and orientees.
16. Maintains policies and procedures established by the department.
17. Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-services meetings and workshops; shows responsibility for ongoing education.
18. Assists in cost containment through the appropriate ordering and conserving of supplies and equipment.
19. Operates equipment safely and correctly.
20. Maintains a good rapport and a cooperative working relationship with physicians, hospital staffs.
21. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
22. Customer Service: Interacts with all individuals in a consistent manner, providing attention, support, and assistance to foster an environment of exceptional personal service.
a. Maintains a pleasant and helpful demeanor, and presents a professional appearance toward all internal and external customers at all times.
b. Consistently initiates interaction to provide assistance to individuals who may not be direct customers of the employee (i.e. asks patients who appear to be lost if they need assistance in finding their way).
c. Takes appropriate action to recover from a service difficulty, ensuring that the necessary action is taken to affect a resolution to the customer’s problem.
d. Conducts all work activities with respect for coworkers, including the maintenance of a pleasant and professional environment, fostering calmness during stressful situations.
e. Interacts with supervisory personnel in a professional, supportive and courteous manner, venting emotions appropriate to time and place.
f. Demonstrates a commitment to service by consistent attendance and punctuality, scheduling absences according to departmental requirements, and incurring unplanned absences only when unavoidable circumstances exist.
23. Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean.
24. Completes annual educational requirements (all mandatory department plus 6 additional CEU’s).
25. Maintains regulatory requirements.
26. Reports to work on time and as scheduled, completes work within designated time.
27. Wears identification while on duty; uses computerized punch time system correctly.
28. Completes all CBO and HES requirements.
29. Attends annual review and department in-services as scheduled.
30. Attends monthly staff meetings. Reads and returns all monthly staff meeting minutes.
31. Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
32. Actively participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
33. Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
34. Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the facility, as well as the focus statement of the department.
With additional training as delegated:
36. Performs an electrocardiogram.
37. Performs Venipuncture for blood collection-only in the Emergency Department.
38. Performs a straight catheter procedure on an adult patient 18 years of age or older.
39. Provides Gastro-intestinal Tube (G-Tube) and percutaneous gastrostomy (PEG) gravity tube feedings only to an established G-Tube or PEG Tube on an adult patient 18 years and older.
40. Assists a patient with established continuous passive motion therapy (CPM)-excluding Emergency Department.
41. Performs a Bladder Scan on an Adult Patient 18 years of age or older.
42. Obtain a swab for surveillance culture.
If performing Information Associate duties:
44. Demonstrates competency in the performance of secretarial duties which may include, but is not limited to: processing orders, admitting patients and using communication devices.
45. Cleans and organizes rolling stock such as wheelchairs, gurneys, and IV poles. Identifies the need for routine and non-routine maintenance of such equipment and sends for repair as indicated.
35. Confidentiality: Maintains confidentiality of information at all times.
a. Consistently maintains confidentiality of all information gained during the course of employment, respecting the privacy of others.
b. Understands and maintains the confidentiality of information communicated directly from the supervisor, including discussions of a counseling nature.
c. Follows policies and procedures related to medico legal matters, including confidentiality, amendments of medical records, patient rights, medical records as legal evidence and informed consent
d. Copies records according to policy, assuring the appropriateness of the individual requesting information from the record prior to copying, faxing, or phoning any portion of the record.
36. Safety: Demonstrates an understanding of fire and electrical safety, infection control, body mechanics, and related areas, as appropriate to position.
a. Attends mandatory in-services on fire safety, electrical safety, infection control, and body mechanics. Successfully completes competency-based training in each area.
b. Follows all employee health procedures, incident reporting, and infection control requirements at all times, as appropriate to the position.
c. Uses proper body mechanics at all times as required by the physical demands of the position.
d. Maintains a safe work environment and performs duties of the position in a manner consistent with ensuring the safety of self and others.
e. Identifies safety needs in areas outside own work environment, recommending corrective action as appropriate.
37. Expense Control: Performs job duties in a manner that maximizes expense control.
a. Uses supplies, equipment, and utilities in an expeditious manner
b. Consistently recommends methods to control costs while maintaining a high degree of customer service.
c. Performs job tasks efficiently and effectively resulting in no unplanned overtime.
• High school graduate or equivalent.
• Current American Heart Association Healthcare Provider BLS preferred, required within 6 months of hire.
• C N A certification or EMT license with at least one year of work experience.
• Ability to effectively communicate in English, both verbally and in writing.
• Additional languages preferred.
• Basic computer knowledge
• For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client care.
If you are passionate about making a difference and are looking for your next great career opportunity, we look forward to reviewing your application!
Posted 2 Days Ago
AT CENTRAL MAINE HEALTHCARE YOU ARE AT THE CENTER OF EVERYTHING WE DO
Our why, our purpose, drives every decision and action we take as a healthcare system. We strive everyday to deliver exceptional care, and to improve our community. We are a non-profit organization that is breaking the traditional healthcare mold by bringing our patients and their family’s high value, low cost, and award-winning care while focusing on creating an exceptional experience for them; all within their communities. To accomplish this, we only hire individuals who are committed to excellence, who embody the principles of our CMH Experience Service Standards, and who are ready to step in and help their fellow team members achieve those exceptional results for our patients, their families, and the community.
Central Maine Healthcare System
The organization is broad in its footprint, with three (3) hospitals in Bridgton, Lewiston, and Rumford, and over 75 individual practices within our Medical Group. Lewiston’s Central Maine Medical Center is a certified and award-winning level two trauma center, along with our Central Maine Heart and Vascular Institute and the upcoming highly anticipated launch of our comprehensive state of the art cancer treatment center. Both Bridgton and Rumford Hospitals are four (4) star accredited acute care hospitals, and our Medical Group and Maine Urgent Care Centers have won multiple awards within their specialties. As a system we are a six-time winner of the Leapfrog Safety A Rating since 2019, representing some of the highest quality care and outcomes nationwide. Our awards and accolades are only possible as a result of our commitment to culture, and a focus on safety and inclusion, in each of our patient’s experiences and in the experiences we create within our teams.
If you are a person who is looking for a way to give back to your community, to help improve the lives of patients or those who care for our patients, want to be part of a growing organization that is setting the bar for Maine healthcare, apply to join Central Maine Healthcare today!