Emergency Department Technician S (EDT) – Emergency Room
Job ID: 83498
Area of Interest: Nursing Support
Location: Baltimore,MD US
Hours of Work: 7a-730pm
Job Facility: UMMC Midtown Campus
Employment Type: Supplemental/Per Diem
What You Will Do:
The Emergency Room Technician assists in the delivery of patient care under the clinical supervision of the Registered Nurse (RN). Direct care activities are delegated by the Registered Nurse and consistent with the Maryland Board of Nursing-Nurse Practice Act. Direct care includes activities involving the care and nutrition of patients, provision of direct observation, and transportation of patients and documentation of those activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists with direct patient care procedures and related tasks under the direction and supervision of the Registered Nurse.
- Set up rooms for incoming arrest and or major trauma and assists with procedures.
- Assists with respiratory care: set-up nasal cannula, ventimask, and non-rebreather.
- Provides care on a functional basis to a patient or group of patients. Duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Provides comfort measures to patients.
- Observes patients condition and documents vital signs T, P, R, blood pressure and O2 saturation. Reports changes to responsible RN.
- Measures and records intake and output, collects specimen and processes appropriately.
- Assists with setup and positioning of patients for the following procedures (but not limited to): central line insertion, chest tube insertion, lumbar puncture, intubation, foley catheter insertion. Assists with NG tube insertion, pacemakers, sutures, splinting procedures, application of orthopedic soft goods and pelvic exams.
- Obtain and records height and weight of patients.
- Completes clothing and valuable lists for admitted patients according to established procedures.
- Performs the following procedures competently and per policy and procedures under the direct supervision of the Registered Nurse:
iii. insertion of saline locks
iv. application of clean sterile dressing
v. application of restraints
vi. administration of tube feedings
vii. performs 12 lead EKG
viii. nasal suctioning
ix. insertion of foley catheter
x. post mortem care
- Identifies and responds promptly to patient needs, respecting dignity and privacy.
- Informs RN immediately of all monitor alarms.
- Provides and maintains a safe and orderly environment for patient care, i.e., side rails up, safe transport to other units.
- Prepares instruments and equipments for material processing exchange.
- Provides assistance orienting to proper use and care of equipment and on location of supplies.
- Performs post mortem care according to hospital policy.
- Initiates CPR as necessary; maintains cardiopulmonary resuscitation competency.
- Improve patient safety in the delivery of health care by understanding and applying the patient safety goals.
- Completes appropriate documentation in accordance with hospital guidelines.
- Participates in the orientation, training, and evaluation of new staff.
- Maintains competency and yearly educational requirements for position.
- Adheres to all procedures related to infection control principles.
- Attends and actively participates in meetings as required.
- Demonstrates support and compliance with University Maryland Medical Center Midtown Campus’ mission, vision, values, philosophy, goals, objectives and policies.
What You Need to Be Successful:
- Currently certified as a CNA by the Maryland Board of Nursing.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Completion of Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Certification preferred.
- One (1) year experience as an Emergency Department Technician (EDT) required.
- One (1) year experience as an EMT provider preferred.
- Current CPR card required.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
- Follow us on