Donor Center Technician (Blood Donor Center) – Full-time
Category: Allied Health
Facility: Anne Arundel Medical Center
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posted Date: December 7, 2021
Performs duties related to taking blood donations and conducting donor physicals.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Espouses the principals of Lean Thinking and creates a work environment that positively promotes continuous process improvement. Explores opportunities to add value to job (innovative ideas) to benefit the organization and taking ownership of the outcome. Proactively finds other work-related tasks during low census.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations. Operates and maintains donor center equipment. Performs preventative maintenance and troubleshoots problems to the full extent of ability.
- Maintains inter- and intradepartmental work flow by fostering a spirit of cooperation (hand offs). Participate in the training of new staff and students by serving as a mentor and technical resource.
- Maintains laboratory supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies. Conserves laboratory resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Schedules donors in person and by telephone. Provides blood donation information by answering questions and requests.
- Registers donors in Hospital Information System. Establishes donor suitability according to regulatory, facility, and laboratory guidelines and protocols. Prepares donors for donation, obtains and processes donations per laboratory protocol. Documents information appropriately in the LIS (ex. deferrals). Performs functions to established productivity guidelines with minimal errors.
- Prepares, processes, and stores units per laboratory protocol. Performs donor blood unit processing to include separating units into individual components and final unit labeling. Prepares frozen plasma for shipment to plasma manufacturer.
- Performs post-donation monitoring of donors. Attends to the needs of ill donors including transport to the Emergency Department, if required.
- Actively participates in the laboratory quality plan/program (i.e. investigative reports).
- Enhances the donor center and hospital reputation by demonstrating a courteous and professional demeanor during all encounters.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Specialized training in phlebotomy.
- Preferred: Two years of experience as a phlebotomist or one year of experience working as a blood donor center technician.
- Current valid driver’s license.
- Ability to travel to various donation sites.
- Preferred: Phlebotomy or Donor Phlebotomy Technician certification with the National Phlebotomy Association or American Society of Clinical Pathology; current American Heart Association Health Care Provider Basic Life Support (BLS) CPR certification.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands – Medium
Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.
First step is to join our talent community for the latest news.
Create your talent profile to receive customized job alerts and the latest company information.
Current employees should click on the button to search jobs, login and manage job agents, check application status, and more.
Important Information about CPR (BLS) requirements for Anne Arundel Medical Center. (Note: this downloads a word document)