State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Director - Public Safety
Req ID: 38651BR
Job Summary: Responsible for the direction, organization, professional development, and management of key Administrative, Financial, and Personnel Management of the Public Safety Department. As the senior-most law enforcement officer, the Director/Chief is also expected to establish, sustain, and promote the operational success of the Public Safety Department through oversight of day-to-day operations in concert with collegial and collaborative initiatives across all departments and divisions. Responsible to maintain a high quality, community-based law enforcement/security organization.
- Responsible to maintain a high quality, community based law enforcement/security organization for the Beth Israel Medical Center. Accountable for the performance of employees under the Public Safety Department. Works to build a cooperative and a proactive department using current law enforcement, security, and crime prevention technologies.
- Continually evaluates existing and proposed technology systems, balances safety and cost effectiveness, in order to make recommendations for all technology-based systems. Strives to reduce the probability of incidents by maintaining current systems and technology.
- Responds to the needs and inquiries of the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center community, and strives for a safe and secure environment for patients, staff and visitors. Supports and creates a community based model and sets standards for cross-disciplinary work to improve customer service.
- Oversees the hiring, training, disciplining, scheduling, quality and allocation of work for the Department of Public Safety. Tasks with mentoring for success, all Public safety staff regardless of their role within the department. Staffing may be either employees of Medical Center or contracted services.
- Oversees and directs all criminal and civil investigations conducted by the Department of Public Safety and the maintaining of all records and reports.
- Responsible to maintain patient confidentiality and statutory reporting to state and federal agencies.
- Responsible to provide comprehensive data to support performance improvement in key areas including, but not limited to, crime statistics, response times and patient watch and restraint information. Promotes crime prevention and proactive techniques to reduce crime, theft and loss of Medical Center property and work with other members of the Medical Center to reduce crime.
- Responsible for oversight of dignitary visits to the Medical Center working in cooperation with other law enforcement and or security agencies. Whenever the Medical Center engages in operations involving more than one outside law enforcement or security organizational unit or department, overall special event command for the Medical Center will be directed by the Director of Public Safety.
- Responsible for all law enforcement activity conducted by the Department of Public Safety and maintains records of training, performance and quality of completed work and operational efficiency.
- Implements procedures, policies, systems & capital projects to support the organizations on-going needs & strategic objectives. Oversees the installation, testing, acceptance & maintenance of all equipment & related software & hardware. Ensures training on systems for all relevant staff. Develop & implement on-going improvement projects to enhance security and safety operations.
- Has the responsibility to lead and support managers and directors in developing and improving operations to create optimal performance levels. Direct Reports: 2-3 Indirect Reports: 51-100
- Has full responsibility for planning, monitoring and managing department budget.
- High School diploma or GED required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- More than 10 years related work experience required and 5-8 years supervisory/management experience required
- Must pass investigative background check satisfactory to departmental, Medical Center, State, and Federal regulatory policies and standards. No felony convictions.
- Public Safety Police Officers must pass all mandatory departmental training in defensive tactics and impact weapons. All certified BIDMC police officers must qualify quarterly in the Massachusetts Firearms Certification Course.
- Ability to be appointed as a Special State Police Officer and Suffolk County Deputy Sheriff. Will be required to maintain current licensing and warrants, as required by State and Federal laws.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Ten or more years of experience as a Director & Chief of Law Enforcement Operations in a hospital environment or Academic Medical Center.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions with significant, broad implications for the management and operations of a major department or multiple departments. Participates in decisions on overall strategy and direction of the organization.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are broad, complex and abstract, often involving Medical Center-wide issues and requiring substantial creativity, resourcefulness, staff engagement, Lean diagnostic techniques, negotiation and diplomacy to develop solutions.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set direction and vision for major departments or multiple departments. Establishes priorities, develops policies and allocates resources.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate complex information in English effectively in writing to all levels of staff, management and external customers across functional areas.
- Oral Communications: Ability to verbally communicate complex concepts in English and address sensitive situations, resolve conflicts, negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate broad and comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex and/or unprecedented situations across multiple functional areas.
- Team Work: Ability to lead and direct multiple collaborative teams for large projects or groups both internal and external to the Medical Center and across functional areas. Results have significant implications for the management and operations of the organization.
- Customer Service: Ability to lead operational initiatives to meet or exceed customer service standards and expectations in assigned unit(s) and/or across multiple areas in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
Actor John Krasinski spreads some good news at BIDMC
BIDMC Named Top 25 Hospitals in the Nation to Work For
BIDMC recognized as a leader in “LGBTQ Healthcare Equality”
How to Apply