Director, Patient Experience
Job ID: 88732
Area of Interest: Management
Location: Baltimore,MD US
Hours of Work: M-F
Job Facility: UM Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
Director, Patient Experience
Reports directly to the University of Maryland Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute (UM Rehab & Ortho) Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The Director of Patient Experience is responsible for overseeing the implementation and execution of UM Rehab & Ortho’s patient experience and Journey to Excellence (J2X) programs. Engages the passion of employees, physicians and patients to ensure that care is consistently patient-centered and exceeds the expectations of patients and families. Identifies internal and external best practices for the patient experience and promotes and disseminates these for the patient experience within UM Rehab & Ortho; provides education, resources, benchmarking and data analytics on the patient experience; and collaborates with UM Rehab & Ortho departments to ensure the delivery of patient-centered care. Creates, supports and leverages patient and family advisory councils to ensure the voice of the customer is represented in UM Rehab & Ortho operations and improvement efforts. Leads visitor events that relate to the patient experience. Provides leadership for the direction, mentoring, and coaching of managers, department heads, and staff members to positively influence the patient experience. With support of the Executive Team, leads J2X initiatives, Volunteer Services and Hackerman-Patz House. Coordinates and ensures support for the provision of interdenominational chapel services.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. These are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
Patient Experience Leadership: Working with and supported by the CEO, the Director of Patient Experience, establishes goals, improvement strategies, tactics and metrics. The Director for the Patient Experience collaborates with staff members, senior leadership members, physicians, patients, and family members to develop and execute the strategy for patient-centered care at the UM Rehab & Ortho.
- Establishes goals, improvement strategies, tactics and metrics.
- Sustains organization-wide visibility, service standards and practices, including training, rounding, measuring, reporting, promoting and celebrating. Maintains and supports the ongoing efforts of the J2X teams to support employee engagement and recognition.
- Collaborates with staff members, managers, leaders, physicians, patients and family members to further the strategic vision for patient experience and service excellence.
- Plans, executes and sustains practices and activities throughout the organization, including rounding, training videos and modules, on-line tracking, support for departmental plans and activities, visibility materials, as well as celebrating successes.
- Supports the work of the senior team and other leaders to establish systems, programs, and services to support patient-centered care.
- Leverages leadership acumen to orchestrate agreement and buy-in among key stakeholders for strategies and activities.
- Partners with the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) to evaluate, investigate all patient and family grievances. Assists the Director of Regulatory/Safety in ensuring regulatory compliance for all complaints/grievances.
- Collaborates and supports the CMO and physician leaders to extend service expectations, training, recognition and metrics to all UM Rehab & Ortho physicians including residents.
- In collaboration with leaders of Ambulatory, extends service excellence practices, measures and celebrations to ambulatory clinics.
- Works with Human Resources to integrate customer service behaviors in the onboarding, training and performance management service. Conducts Customer Service component of New Employee Orientation. Provides related training and development classes to ensure consistent expectations for service excellence and service recovery.
- Advise executives, physicians, directors, managers, supervisors and patient liaisons on matters involving patient complaints and grievances.
- Supports efforts to ensure that complaint management is delivered effectively and in compliance with The Joint Commission and other regulatory requirements.
- Supports directors and managers to establish goals and strategies for the patient experience.
Patient Satisfaction Measurement
- Establishes, disseminates and improves UM Rehab & Ortho-wide metrics of patient-centered care/patient satisfaction.
- Reports status of patient satisfaction and improvement efforts to senior leadership, managers, directors, physicians.
- Educates staff members, managers, executives, directors, physicians and others to interpret and access their patient satisfaction metrics and associated best practices.
- Directs inpatient patient satisfaction culture and measurement for UM Rehab & Ortho.
- Delivers key measures of patient and family satisfaction at UM Rehab & Ortho, departmental and unit levels; ensuring that data are easily accessible.
- Interprets and presents patient survey data to staff members, management, leadership, hospital departments, physician leaders, and direct care givers.
- Develop new surveys and modifies tools, sampling techniques and reporting vehicles as approved by the senior team throughout the organization.
Patient Advisors and Benchmarking
- Develops and advances the patient advisory councils to ensure that the voice of the patient is represented in the design of UM Rehab & Ortho facility and services, policies and programs.
- Leads patient experience benchmarking efforts by reaching out to national leaders to identify best practices.
Journey to Excellence:
- Develops training tools and provides training for leaders to utilize in hardwiring the J2X “must haves.”
- Coordinates J2X coaching days ensuring agenda, materials, and meeting requests are in place at least two weeks prior to coaching day.
- Serves as a leader/resource for all J2X teams – Leadership Development Institute (LDI), Patient Experience, Staff and Physician Engagement.
- Serves as administrator for the Leadership Evaluation Management (LEM) and Patient Call Manager (PCM) software. Provides training and ensures updates are completed as warranted.
- Completes formal annual assessment of organizational need for volunteers.
- Develops and coordinates all facets of the volunteer program(s) including active recruitment of volunteers to meet organizational need.
- Responsible for providing all administrative support to the volunteer program.
- Administers volunteer policies, procedures, interviews, orientation, placement, record keeping.
- Serves as liaison between staff and volunteers.
- Coordinates and develops partnerships with high schools and colleges to place students in volunteer positions.
- Tracks volunteer time including dates, times, location and assignment(s) while on-site.
- Coordinates provision of interdenominational chapel services.
- Serves as administrator for CBISA including issuing and maintaining passwords and providing quarterly reviews and reporting on CBISA completion.
- Develop and provide training for reports on CBISA.
- Attend and participate in UMMS Community Benefit meetings.
- Coordinate the Community Benefit Report and complete the narrative and all tables and attachments.
- Serves as the administrator for the Community Needs Assessment including organizing stakeholders, organizing focus groups, and organizing online surveys. Locates and procures primary and secondary data sources.
- Assists in the report development including assembly of qualitative and quantitative data sources.
- Adheres to all Hospital Policies and Procedures as they apply to the area.
- Complies with regulatory agencies, and institutional and operating systems.
- Adheres to Infection Control and Environment of Care Guidelines and Procedures as they are described in the annual education module.
- Protects patient confidentiality.
Institutional and/or Professional Standards
- Demonstrates the values of the organization: quality and compassionate care, excellence in service, respect for individual, patient safety, quality in research and education, and cost effectiveness.
- Demonstrates commitment to serving the customer.
- Demonstrates excellence in communication with the customer. Serves as expert in Service Recovery and Service Excellence.
- Creates a welcoming environment for the patients, family and other interdisciplinary
What You Need to Be Successful:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Health Service, Nursing, Public Health Administration, Business or Public Administration, or a related area of study is required. Master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively professional-related experience, involving service and budgetary accountability is required. Experience in an academically affiliated health care facility is preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW