State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Director - Glycomics Core
Req ID: 36660BR
Job Summary: Supervises overall operations of the Glycomics Core. In charge of the operations on a daily basis and will meet with investigators and core customers at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC), and other research institutions. Supervises and directs other research staff within the BIDMC Glycomics Core and collaborates with research investigators in the design and analysis of experiments requiring this technology. Mentors and supervises junior level research assistants within the Core Facility.
- Oversees and supervises other supporting research staff within the Glycomics Core and coordinates the daily operation of the instruments. Instructs researchers on the operation of the instrumentation for their individual applications.
- Collaborates with Principal Investigators (PIs) and their researchers in the design of methods and experimental procedures utilizing the instrumentation.
- Collaborates with PIs in reviewing, analyzing and interpreting research data. Utilizes appropriate statistical and mathematical software for analysis and presentation of experimental data. Maintains sufficient familiarity with computer hardware to troubleshoot problems and obtains appropriate help when necessary.
- Assume full responsibility for the maintenance and operations of core equipment. Troubleshoots the instrumentation and submits major repairs to a field service technician.
- Has the authority to direct and support employees daily work activities. Has authority to undertake or recommend the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: 2-3 Indirect Reports: None
- Assists in planning, monitoring and/or managing budget in functional area of department.
- Doctoral degree in in related field of study required.
- 5-8 years related work experience required and 0-1 years supervisory/management experience required
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are broad, complex and abstract, often involving Medical Center-wide issues and requiring substantial creativity, resourcefulness, staff engagement, Lean diagnostic techniques, negotiation and diplomacy to develop solutions.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and priorities for functional area. May make recommendations for department policies, practices and programs. Manager or Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate complex information in English effectively in writing to all levels of staff, management and external customers across functional areas.
- Oral Communications: Ability to verbally communicate complex concepts in English and address sensitive situations, resolve conflicts, negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate broad and comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex and/or unprecedented situations across multiple functional areas.
- Team Work: Ability to lead collaborative teams for larger projects or groups both internal and external to the Medical Center and across functional areas. Results have implications for the management and operations of multiple areas of the organization.
- Customer Service: Ability to lead operational initiatives to meet or exceed customer service standards and expectations in assigned unit(s) and/or across multiple areas in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
Your Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet.
Sign up for our Talent Community and receive Job Alerts
Actor John Krasinski spreads some good news at BIDMC
BIDMC Named Top 25 Hospitals in the Nation to Work For
BIDMC recognized as a leader in “LGBTQ Healthcare Equality”
How to Apply