State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Director, Emergency Department
Req ID: 38987BR
Job Summary: The nurse director provides 24 hour operational accountability for their unit. He/She participates in the development and, in collaboration with the Chief Nursing Officer and Director, oversees the implementation and evaluation of programs and processes to provide necessary patient care services using appropriate resources. Inherent in the role is active involvement and leadership in quality improvement activities to enhance patient care and improve service. Additionally, the Nurse Director participates in the development of and implementation of care and performance standards to ensure that identified patient care needs and regulatory equipments are met and/or exceeded. Optimal patient care and cost effective management is maintained through utilization of data and information from quality assessment and standards monitoring. Supports and contributes to ongoing changes within the organization. The Nurse Director is a role model for service excellence.
- Is accountable for the care of patients, the practice of nursing, interdisciplinary collaboration and department/unit based operations.
- Articulates and embodies the mission, values and goals of the institution for staff and patients
- Prepares annual operating budget including salaries and wages, supplies and expenses, along with capital requests, within the timeframe allotted; ensures budget compliance and where applicable provides variance explanations
- Provides leadership through the development and/or implementation of an infrastructure to ensure staff receives appropriate orientation to the unit, the patient population and procedures and policies
- Analyzes data, identify areas of concern and develop initiatives to address those concerns
- Has the authority to direct and support employees daily work activities. Has the direct responsibility to undertake the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: More than 7 Indirect Reports: None
- Has full responsibility for planning, monitoring and managing department budget.
- Bachelor's degree required in Nursing (or equivalent). Master's degree preferred in Nursing
- License required: Registered Nurse
- 3-5 years related work experience required and 3-5 years supervisory/management experience required
- Advanced interpersonal skills; Demonstrated ability, or potential, to effectively build and lead a team; Demonstrated ability to effectively work as a team member
- Ability to manage frequent stress due to critical patient issues, changing organization al climate and personnel issues; Demonstrated leadership skills; Demonstrate ability to manage unit in a fiscally responsible manner
- Analytical ability to solve clinical issues and conduct, or participate in, quality improvement, research and utilization activities
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate complex information in English effectively in writing to all levels of staff, management and external customers across functional areas.
- Oral Communications: Ability to verbally communicate complex concepts in English and address sensitive situations, resolve conflicts, negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate broad and comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex and/or unprecedented situations across multiple functional areas.
- Team Work: Ability to lead collaborative teams for larger projects or groups both internal and external to the Medical Center and across functional areas. Results have implications for the management and operations of multiple areas of the organization.
- Customer Service: Ability to lead operational initiatives to meet or exceed customer service standards and expectations in assigned unit(s) and/or across multiple areas in a timely and respectful manner.
Age based Competencies:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
Actor John Krasinski spreads some good news at BIDMC
BIDMC Named Top 25 Hospitals in the Nation to Work For
BIDMC recognized as a leader in “LGBTQ Healthcare Equality”
How to Apply