- Union, SC
- Ellen Sagar Nursing Center
- Full-Time - Days (weekends as needed)
- Job Grade 013
- Req #: 38945
- High School Diploma required; Bachelor’s Degree with major area of concentration of one of the following: Recreation, Creative Art Therapy, Therapeutic Recreation, Art, Art Education, Phycology, Sociology or Occupational Therapy preferred.
- Those associates hired prior to 10/1/2017 will be “grand-fathered” in to the current position without the listed above Bachelor’s Degree. Any associate hired after 10/1/2017 will be required to have appropriate educational level.
- Licensed or registered therapeutic recreation specialist or an activities professional who is licensed or registered (active) or as an activities professional recognized by accrediting body or has a minimum of three (3) years’ experience in activities in a health care facility within the past five (5) years.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in activities in a health care facility within the past five (5) years required.
- Proven experience in developing and designing activities and programs as described herein.
- Excellence in communication skills to include written and verbal; thorough and detailed documentation experience.
- Strong management and computer skills.
- Certification from National Certification Council as an Activity Professional or National Council for Therapeutic Recreation preferred.
The Activity Director is responsible for developing and implementing a variety of meaningful activities designed to suit the interests and physical cognitive capabilities of the resident population. The Activity Director, individually and as a supervisor, shall perform all duties required to assess residents and collaborate with other team members to provide effective resident care. Must be able to understand and document the specific communication, developmental, treatment needs of residents, families and visitors ranging in age from eighteen years to late adult. Develop and plan activities and programs both on individual and group basis for all residents, obtaining and maintaining supplies. Responsible for fulfilling duties of a Resident Representative as needed. This position requires ability to communicate effectively and with professionalism and sensitivity due to the constant interaction with residents and families to ensure positive program interaction and resident satisfaction.
Financial Management (Budget):
- Performs all responsibilities related to revenue, expenses, budget, positions and FTEs to ensure financial accountability for all cost center(s); reviews reports bi-weekly; reports documented variances to supervisor immediately
- Ensures that all employees’ time is accurately reported in the Time and Attendance System
- Responsible for communicating the organizational financial status to management on a monthly basis
- Prepares the operating capital budget on an annual basis; complies with all instructions and adheres to any time frames in the budget calendars or budget instructions
Strategic Leadership (Supervisor):
- Exhibits professional leadership attributes, leading by example to include designing, implanting and facilitation programs and activities;
- Communicates Strategic Plan and Regional Sharing goals to assure establishment and effective communication of strategies and goals; develops goals within the department that support the overall strategic plan and meet these goals as defined, guiding and mentoring staff and team members from other departments
- Ensure operations are conducted with integrity and consistent with ethical business and legal practices to perform duties and responsibilities
- Links mission, vision and values to everyday work for employees by setting expectations, adjusting priorities as circumstances change; create an atmosphere of continuous learning and provide training needed for staff to be successful
- Ensure all employees are given regular, timely performance appraisals and feedback on performance with appropriate consequences for good and poor performance
- Adapts leadership style to various situations and individuals
- Performs thorough resident assessment or directs team members, establishes appropriate plan of care and performs appropriate treatment with necessary documentation based on accepted practice standards
Relationship and Team Building:
- Treats everyone with dignity and respect; accepts the opinion of all other people; develops trusting relationships with employees
- Conducts Personal Management Interviews (PMIs) with employees; communicates feedback from Employee Surveys to create departmental action plans
- Shares complete and accurate plans and goals appropriately to staff recognizing workplace success
- Recognizes and encourages the behaviors that contribute to teamwork (e.g. cooperation, sharing information and expertise, providing feedback, working together, putting team success first, etc.)
- Coaches and provides feedback to team based on observed behaviors that contribute or detract from effective relationships
- Fairly and consistently identifies areas of agreement and disagreement or inconsistency in order to identify issues or aspects in need of resolution
Accountability, Quality and Results:
- Meets productivity standards, deadlines and work schedules; ensures that processes are implemented and revised to maintain and increase productivity
- Ensures that goals are accurately measured on a monthly or quarterly basis and progress is reported; appropriately balances quality of work with ability to meet deadlines
- Identifies and implements improvements with activities, programs, projects, services and resident interactions to meet expectations and quality initiatives based on Strategic Plan
- Generates unique but workable and useful solutions to resolve difficult problems
- Meet standards to measure staff and facility performance in managing and improving the environment of care and employee safety
- Provide a safe, functional, supportive and effective environment for residents achieving desired outcomes; improving resident quality and safety; review quality initiatives and performance improvements; ask employees for quality improvements
To perform this job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information.
- Resident/Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional resident/customer situations; responds promptly to resident needs; solicits resident feedback in an attempt to achieve an optimum level of resident care; treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to the ideas of others; and is willing to try new solutions and options; demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; respectfully helps to educate others on the value of diversity; promotes a harassment-free environment.
- Quality - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy, thoroughness, excellence and attention to detail; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality and excellence.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and in a timely manner; supports the goals and values of the organization; benefits organization through outside activities and representation of the company; supports affirmative action and respects diversity; prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to the views of others; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts the success of the team above his/her own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone's efforts to succeed.