Search Our Jobs
State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Diabetes Educator (40hr, CDCES)
Req ID: 41835BR
Job Summary: Certified Diabetes Educator responsible for diabetes self-management program utilizing the clinical practice recommendations of the American Diabetes Association, Association of Diabetes Educators, and Joslin Center, Needham.
- Perform clinical and psychosocial assessment of diabetes patients in either an individual or group setting.
- Identify educational needs for diabetes self-management knowledge and skills.
- Develop and implement a plan of care based on clinical expertise, scientific principles and the patients' lifestyle and culture.
- Empower diabetes patients with knowledge and skills to attain optimal control and prevent acute/chronic complications.
- Educate in areas of medication administration, self-monitoring blood glucose (SMBG), continuous glucose monitoring systems (CGMS), pump therapy, nutrition, exercise, recognition & treatment of acute complications and preventive health skills in accordance with current clinical practice recommendations utilizing learning objectives and behavioral goals.
- Monitor patients' response to therapy and revise plan as indicated.
- Prevent/decrease incidence of complications by supporting preventive health risk behaviors. (Ophthalmology, podiatry, lipids, A1C, urine M/A)
- Conduct ongoing quality improvement studies.
- Support hospital policies and procedures while sustaining a safe environment.
- Recognize the importance of continuous diabetes education and self-learning needs while maintaining current skills and knowledge.
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing required.
- License Registered Nurse required., and Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist (CDCES) Required.
- 5-8 years related work experience required in direct diabetes education.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and determines how to accomplish defined results with some guidelines. Manager/Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service:
Age based Competencies:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
EOE StatementBIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
VaccinesAs a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
BIDMC is proud to be recognized LinkedIn as one of their Top Companies Boston
BIDMC Named Top 25 Hospitals in the Nation to Work For
Recognized in 100 Great Hospitals in America
How to Apply