Dental Assistant Trainee
FT 40 HRS
7 days agoRequisition ID: 1612
Are you looking for a great opportunity for on the job training in the healthcare field? Train with Harbor Health to become a licensed Dental Assistant! This is a paid position and Harbor Health will cover the initial training costs and licensure fee.
The Dental Assistant Trainee (DAT) agrees to be trained as a Dental Assistant through an on-the-job training program at the Geiger Gibson Community Health Center. For a one-time period of up to six consecutive months to commence from the beginning of the initial period of on-the-job training the Dental Assistant Trainee will:
- Work with dental leadership to give official notice to the Board of Registration in Dentistry (BORID) of intent to train.
- Will primarily be trained by the Senior Dental Assistant and Training Instructor.
- Will receive additional indirect training by the clinical staff at the assigned dental site.
Within 6 months, the DAT will:
- Complete initial training with Harbor Health.
- Obtain a current BLS (Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers) certification.
- Complete a course on the CDC guidelines (Infection Control)
- Complete a course in radiological techniques and safeguards and successfully pass the DANB Radiation Health and Safety Examination (RHS) or other examination as approved by BORID within one year or course completion.
- Obtain an on-the job (OJT) Massachusetts Dental Assisting License.
Essential Functions: (Under Assigned Supervision)
- Performs all delegable duties for On the Job Trained Dental Assistant allowed by the Board of Dentistry.
- Reviews medical chart with provider, performs intake on the patient and documents in EDR following protocols.
- Prepares all clinical areas for treatment planned each session.
- Provides chairside assistance to dentists in all procedures in accordance with training.
- Enters relevant patient information into EDR in accordance with training and protocol.
- Implements daily infection control procedures and processes instruments in compliance with CDC and HHSI protocols.
- As directed, or in accordance with state law and HHSI protocol, place sensors and aligns x-ray tubes for radiographs but will not expose radiographs until required licensure is obtained.
- Performs routine maintenance on equipment and maintains checklists and logs as required.
- Maintains checklists and logs on equipment, oxygen tanks, eyewash stations, code bags.
- Enters data and maintains the electronic lab log tracking all dental prosthetic cases in accordance with protocol and training.
- Prepares all clinical areas for clinic closing in accordance with protocol.
- Monitors inventory and ensures that inventory is maintained by following established protocols.
- Reviews post-operative instructions to patients regarding their procedures.
Required/Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Computer literate; must have basic skills in windows environment.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Candidates must have never been previously licensed or registered as a dentist, dental hygienist, or dental assistant and not in violation of any rule or regulation adopted by BORID (Dental Board).
Harbor Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D.