Community Health Worker I
The Community Health Worker supports and supplements Novant Health’s Care Teams by focusing specifically on broader determinants of health for vulnerable patients, bridging the gap between communities and the health and social service systems. He/she provides culturally appropriate health education, information and outreach in both healthcare facilities and community-based settings – in homes, clinics, hospitals, shelters, etc. Collaborates with members of a patient’s healthcare team to assess needs, develop, implement and review care plans to meet needs and assist patients in receiving the optimal level of care at the most appropriate place of service. This includes conducting health screenings, providing health education/coaching, and linking patients to appropriate community resources. The Community Health Worker maintains current knowledge of available community resources and community outreach program options for referral.
At Novant Health, one of our core values is diversity and inclusion. By engaging the strengths and talents of each team member, we ensure a strong organization capable of providing remarkable healthcare to our patients, families and communities. Therefore, we invite applicants from all group dynamics to apply to our exciting career opportunities.
- Education: High School Diploma Required.
- Experience: Minimum of one year experience in community setting and linking patients to various community resources. Required.
- Licensure/Certification/Registration:Health Coach Certification preferred. NC CHW Certification preferred.
- Additional Skills required:
- Member of the community with understanding of the population served.
- Must be able to function as part of a team.
- Ability to travel and work a variable schedule including some nights and weekends.
- Strong organization, team building, and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently without supervision and self-manage.
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies among a diverse population.
- Have a passion for health improvement and be able to communicate case sensitive material to participants.
- Accepts and respects diversity without judgement.
- Ability to respect confidential information.
- General working knowledge of motivational interviewing, behavior change methods, and an emphasis on preventive care.
- Must be able to work with changing priorities.
- Experience with Electronic Medical Records, Word, Excel, and Power Point software.
It is the responsibility of every Novant Health team member to deliver the most remarkable patient experience in every dimension, every time.
- Our team members are part of an environment that fosters team work, team member engagement and community involvement.
- The successful team member has a commitment to leveraging diversity and inclusion in support of quality care.
- All Novant Health team members are responsible for fostering a safe patient environment driven by the principles of "First Do No Harm".
Need help finding the right job?
Learn more about Novant Health