Job ID: 84444
Area of Interest: Service
Location: Cheverly,MD US
Hours of Work: Rotating
Job Facility: University of Maryland Capital Region
Employment Type: Supplemental/Per Diem
What You Will Do:
Under the supervision of the Assistant Director, Communications, the Communications Clerk answers incoming calls and promptly transfers calls to requested department or provides requested service. A key responsibility is to respond to and act upon the communication needs for emergency codes and provide a positive customer experience to everyone. Operates various telecommunications equipment including: Intellidesk, ACD, Medical Emergency Code telephones, and other emergency service requests. Provides paging services and location systems as well as maintains on call schedules according to established policies and protocols.
This position description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions expected of an incumbent. It is not an exhaustive comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of an incumbent. An incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required. PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
Principal Duties: Switchboard
1. Operates central answering telephone equipment. Answers incoming calls, and promptly transfers calls or provides requested service according to departmental procedure.
2. Provides telephone paging services for physicians and other designated personnel according to departmental procedure.
3. Receives and promptly delivers messages which have a medical urgency or necessity to Physicians, Residents, Staff and Patients according to departmental procedure.
4. Answers fire, emergency, or medical emergency calls , activates paging, fax, text messages, desk top notification and overhead alerts according to departmental policy and procedures; calls affected department to get specific information including exact location of emergency in order to contact the appropriate emergency service. Ensures that appropriate Code teams respond to emergency calls.
5. Maintains logs of, all emergency calls. Records date, time, caller, and operator responsible for activating emergency call protocol. .
6. Uses Siemens query patient information and provides information to public according to departmental procedures and HIPAA guidelines.
7. Performs data entry of changes in department numbers, pager numbers, and medical and surgical
monthly Test Pages according to departmental policy and procedure
9. Reports all system malfunctions immediately to appropriate personnel, vendors and management
10. Monitors and makes daily changes to on-call schedule for medical staff, AOC, PA’s, ICU consults, Respiratory, Cath Lab (Stemi), OR, Ortho attending, Vascular lab, Psychiatrist, Echo Techs, Dialysis, Biomedical Engineering and Interventional Radiology.
11. Makes appointments for patients in need of translation services for admissions, hospital stays, discharges, legal, Human Resources, outpatient service and all other stakeholders
12. Monitors fire alarm system in conjunction with Clinical Engineering
13. Contacts clergy at the request of patient, family or nursing unit
14. Monitors Huggs security system
15. Proctors new hires
What You Need to Be Successful:
Life Support Certification: (Check all that apply)
Basic Life Support – Health Care Provider (BLS-HCP) Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP)
Education/Knowledge (see attached explanation sheet)
Attained Level: High School Diploma or Equivalent (GED) is required
Completed Course Work/Program:
Experience (years): Required: 1 to 3 years Preferred: Medical Terminology
Experience (describe required & preferred): One year experience as a Telephone Attendant/Operator using computerized equipment and
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
- Follow us on