Clinical Research Educator "Job Details"
Winston-Salem, NC, United States
- Medical Center Blvd, Winston Salem, NC, 27157, US
08/03/2021, 9:28 AM
The Oncology Clinical Research Educator is responsible for ensuring that every patient-facing staff member within the Cancer Center’s Clinical Protocol and Data Management (CPDM) has been educated to perform the functions necessary for the conduct of safe high quality clinical research within the Cancer Center and to ensure that the staff maintain and further develop these skills. The Educator will provide training in a broad range of oncology clinical research skills and knowledge including the nature of malignant diseases, the management of patients with these diseases within the context of clinical research, regulatory and institutional policy requirements, the various Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) pertaining to these within CPDM, the use of the various electronic/computer systems used within the Cancer Center and CPDM and the ethical conduct of clinical research. The role supports the development of the clinical research team and fosters empowerment through knowledge to achieve excellence intended to facilitate and assure that clinical trials comply with the requirements of the approved study protocol, the approving Institutional Review Board, Wake Forest Baptist’s polices and applicable Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and other regulatory requirements. This occurs through the facilitation of the educational process through assessment, development, planning, implementation and evaluation of competency assessment, continuing education and staff improvement.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
- Graduation from an accredited school of nursing with a BSN
- Five years of experience in clinical trials research
- Two years of experience in oncology nursing
- Previous education and training experience
- Oncology Certified Nurse (OCN) certification or the obtaining of OCN certification within 12 months of hire
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree
- Oncology research experience
Reports To: Clinical Research Nurse Manager, CPDM, Comprehensive Cancer Center
Licensure, Certification and/or Registration:
- Current license to practice as a Registered Nurse (RN) in the State of North Carolina.
- SOCRA or ACRP certification preferred
- Must complete the CITI certification for Human Subject Research if not already completed
- Must complete all additional required computer system training including WakeOne (Epic), WISER (OnCore), Florence eReg Binders and RedCap training.
- Work with CPDM leadership to design, implement, and evaluate clinical research orientation, ongoing education programs and specialized training for all levels of CPDM clinical personnel
- Coordinate and contribute to the preparation and delivery of training program content, instructional material, and format for delivery (in-service training, webinar, video, web, application help-text, etc.)
- Analyze curricula to select the best methods to achieve desired performance and learning objectives. Utilize rapid instructional design tools and processes as well as adult learning theory and experience. Conduct formal and informal methods of evaluating program effectiveness including conducting learning assessments for individuals and groups.
- Establish and document metrics, benchmarks and appropriate performance measures. Document and summarize needs assessments, accomplishments and challenges. Identify process improvements and need for re-education or alternative educational/informational methods by listening to participants.
- Maintain calendar and records for all training/professional development sessions.
- Secure appropriate levels of credit for participation (CEU, IRB, GCP, etc.)
- Design and develop effective and engaging learning and educational training materials that include technologically innovative and instructionally sound deliverables to ensure effective and engaging learning, with occasional guidance. Manage multiple projects, timelines, work plans, and deliverables. Coordinate onboarding and training efforts for new CPDM staff end users.
- Serve as a positive change agent to initiate and support progress toward and the achievement of organizational strategic research related goals.
- Champion site-specific recruitment plans and strategies.
- Mitigate barriers to patient recruitment with stakeholders with the goal of accelerating or increasing subject enrollment.
- Educate site on study processes, systems, study protocols and other key documents and eliminate lack of clarity to enable a higher level of study execution by the Principal Investigator and team at the site level.
- Provide in-service presentations to physicians, residents, interns, fellows and nursing staff and pharmacy.
- Assist with the creation of protocol specific aids such as cheat sheets and summaries.
- Provide hands-on support and mentoring to CPDM clinical staff.
- Perform other functions as necessary in this role
Skills and Qualifications:
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Excellent oral/written communication and organizational skills.
- Excellent reading comprehension.
- Foster/promote a positive image and professional appearance.
- Sensitivity to intercultural relations.
- Sensitivity to the maintenance of confidentiality.
- Ability to use Microsoft products, access data in computer data bases, compile data, and research information.
- Proofread documents.
- Troubleshoot problems.
Wake Forest Baptist Health and Atrium Health have joined forces in a strategic combination that will enhance care, transform medical education and create economic opportunity for countless lives in North Carolina and beyond. As a part of that combination, the two health systems will be integrating technology and platforms, including our career sites.
This means that although you are applying on the Wake Forest Baptist Health Career Site, you receive communications from the Atrium Health Recruitment Team. Please know that this is an expected process, and thanks in advance for your flexibility.
Wake Forest Baptist Health (www.WakeHealth.edu) is a nationally recognized academic health system in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, with an integrated enterprise including educational and research facilities, hospitals, clinics, diagnostic centers, and other primary and specialty care facilities serving 24 counties in northwest North Carolina and southwest Virginia.
It comprises: a regional clinical system with more than 300 locations, 2,100 physicians and 1,535 acute care beds; Wake Forest School of Medicine; and Wake Forest Innovations, which promotes the commercialization of research discoveries and operates Innovation Quarter, an urban research and business park specializing in biotechnology, materials science and information technology. Wake Forest Baptist’s clinical, research and educational programs are consistently ranked among the best in the country.
About the Team
Wake Forest Baptist Health's mission is to improve the health of our region, state and nation by:
- Generating and translating knowledge to prevent, diagnose and treat disease.
- Training leaders in health care and biomedical science.
- Serving as the premier health system in our region, with specific centers of excellence recognized as national and international care destination.
Wake Forest Baptist Health is a preeminent learning health system that promotes better health for all through collaboration, excellence and innovation.
- Demonstrate the highest standards of patient-centered care, education, research and operational effectiveness
- Responsive to the physical, emotional, spiritual and intellectual needs of all
- Cultivate selfless contribution for the greater good
- Demonstrate fairness, honesty, sincerity and accountability
- Demonstrate respect for and inclusion of all backgrounds, identities, experiences, and perspectives
- Foster mutual respect, facilitate professional growth and mentorship, and reward teamwork and collaboration
- Promote creativity to enhance discovery and the application of knowledge
- Embrace a culture of reliability through better process design and accountability
Patient and Family Promise
We promise to:
- Keep you safe.
- Care for you.
- Involve you and your family.
- Respect you and your time.