Clinical Pharmacist (Per Diem)
This close affiliation with BIDMC, since 2000, has facilitated the clinical integration of staff and resources in emergency medicine, hospital medicine (hospitalists), cardiology, radiology, orthopaedics, general surgery, pathology and oncology. Physicians in Needham maintain very close relationships with the staff at BIDMC; so in cases where patients need to be transferred from Needham to Boston for more advanced care, there are systems in place to make that transition happen quickly.Job Location: Needham, MA
Req ID: 36529BR
Job Summary: Supports the mission of the department by providing pharmaceutical care to all patients at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Needham. This includes:
Reviewing electronic and written orders in order to ensure that the appropriate medication, route, dose, and dosing interval has been prescribed for the patient.
Interfacing with the appropriate member of the healthcare team in the event of a problem or lack of information regarding medication orders.
Supervises support staff (including technicians and interns) in order to ensure that medication doses are prepared correctly and under conditions promulgated by State and Federal regulations.
Serves as preceptors for pharmacy students. Ensures a high quality educational experience.
Serves as the pharmacy liaison on assigned committees. Responsibilities include serving as the expert in all aspects of pharmaceutical care, including drug information and pharmacy operations.
Serves as the drug information expert in the organization. Provides drug information in a complete and timely manner. Provides inservices, drug information sheets, and drug reviews as assigned.
Participates in departmental and organizational quality assurance and performance improvement projects.
- Clinically reviews all medication orders to ensure that medications entered into the patient's profiles are safe for administration. Assessment includes, appropriate drug selection, medication allergy, dose, route of administration, diagnosis, relevant laboratory results, therapeutic duplication, drug interactions and age of patient.
- Dispenses medication to the automated dispensing cabinets (ADC) on the nursing units in accordance with departmental policy and with the safety of the patient in mind.
- Reviews orders entered into computer system by Licensed Independent Prescriber. Ensures that order is appropriate for patient in regards to selection, dose, and dosing interval.
- Enters written orders into the Pharmacy computer system with attention being paid to how this medication will be administered by the nurse.
- Supervises pharmacy technicians, graduate pharmacists, pharmacy interns, and PharmD students to ensure that the daily needs of our patients are being met. Educates members of the department and healthcare team on safe medication practices.
- Bachelor's degree required in Pharmacy.
- Registration required: Pharmacist
- 1-3 years related work experience required in clinical hospital experience.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Age based Competencies:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.