Location St. Louis, Missouri, United States of America Category Physicians Job Id R0010217
ChenMed is transforming healthcare for seniors. We provide big answers to big problems in health care delivery. ChenMed is a full-risk primary care market leader with an innovative philosophy, unique physician culture and end-to-end customized technology. These things allow us to provide world-class primary care and coordinated care to the most vulnerable population – moderate- to low-income seniors who have complex chronic diseases.
Through our innovative operating model, physician-led culture and empowering technology, we are able to drive key quality and cost outcomes that create value for patients, physicians and the overall health system. Our model allows us to practice medicine the way it should be practiced. By recruiting focused physicians and reducing their doctor-to-patient ratios, we increase patients’ “face time” during each monthly appointment and help foster stronger doctor-patient relationships. Our model also drives and enhances compliance with treatment plans.
As a result of our efforts, our patients realize lower hospital admissions. Their overwhelming response to our approach is reflected in our aggressive, organic growth and net promoter scores in the low to mid 90s, which is unheard of in any industry. Read more about our results and the value of the ChenMed model.
As a company, we are making a difference in the lives of seniors and the health care system overall.
This crucial role is a transitional position towards becoming a center clinical P&L leader (i.e., Senior Medical Director [SMD]) in the organization. The incumbent Center Medical Director (CMD) will leverage his/her prior leadership experience to expedite learning and delivering the ChenMed clinical model. The CMD will be simultaneously completing PCP Black Belt Training and Mastering the Medical Director Essentials within a combined and accelerated PCP and medical director training pathway.
We are an outcomes-focused, value-based organization. This position will be subject to, and have center oversight for, the following metrics/competencies that are regularly assessed to help our clinicians become successful and reach Partnership status: panel size, patient outcomes (admissions and hospital sick days), attaining at least 18 appointment slots per day for each full time provider, CG CAHPS and net promoter score (patient experience), HEDIS and clinical gaps closures, and medical cost effectiveness measures. Each primary care provider (PCP) will have goals for these metrics and will be expected to work towards those targets with their center and market leadership as well as their care team. Culture is also very important in the medical centers and CMDs are expected to ensure PCPs are leaders in our organization and helping champion a positive culture of love, accountability, and passion.
The CMD will demonstrate and lead the center’s providers towards:
- Accountability and oversight for outcomes: The CMD demonstrates accountability for outcomes, strong clinical care, and cost-effectiveness for each patient in their panel of at least 300 risk adjusted patients (75% partial panel). They understand that they can strongly influence the patient’s outcomes by building a trusting relationship and helping them change behaviors.
- Coaching for health: Act as a health coach, rather than just a consultant for sickness, by helping patients set short and long-term health goals, partners with the patient to work toward the goals, and frequently follows up on those goals on the path to improved health for their patients.
- Simplifying for action: Simplify and prioritize appropriately so that behavior change is more actionable, both for the patient in helping them achieve their goals, and when leading their care team towards their performance goals.
- Leadership: Lead center Super Huddle (SH) and Transforming Care Meeting (TCM) weekly care meetings, as well as support Center Manager/Center General Manager. The goal is for the CMD to increasingly assume responsibilities of the SMD to directly supervise, performance manage and train PCPs in his/her assigned center; as well as be accountable for maximizing overall clinical value while engaging physicians to improve clinical quality, efficiency, outcomes, cost effectiveness, and physician/patient satisfaction. This will partially be accomplished by leadership rounding (monthly 1:1), which initially will be jointly conducted with the market clinical leader. In addition, the goal for the CMD will be over time to increasingly manage day-to-day clinical and business operations to improve the financial performance of the center, in partnership with the Center Manager/Center General Manager.
The CMD will be required to demonstrate the ability to function both independently and in collaboration with other health care professionals. The CMD will work closely with the applicable center and market leadership to ensure compliance with guidelines along with participating in risk and quality management programs, clinical meetings and other meetings as required that promote patient health and company goals.
CMD Training will include
- PCP Black Belt Training and PCP Essentials
- Medical Director and Center Operations
- ChenMed Leadership Pathways Program
- Medical Economics and Center Financial Performance
- Sales and Growth
The CMD will adhere to strict departmental goals/objectives, standards of performance, regulatory compliance, quality patient care compliance, and policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES (for own panel initially and progressively is accountable for center):
- Independently provides care and oversight of outcomes, as applicable, for patients with acute and chronic illnesses encountered in the older adult patient.
- Takes full accountability for patient care and outcomes and will appropriately seek consultation from specialists when needed; remains involved in, and responsible for, the detailed care of the patient.
- Engages with the hospitalist whenever one of their patients is in the hospital (regardless of whether the hospitalist works for ChenMed or not).
- Responsible for assessment, diagnosis, treatment, management, education, health promotion and care coordination and documentation for patients with acute and complex chronic health needs.
- Leads their care team consisting of care promoter (medical assistant), care facilitator, and care coordinator for patients able to come to the office.
- For patients that are unable to come to the office—in hospital, SNF, LTC or home-bound, the CMD will engage with the transitional care team and others including case managers, acute and transitional-care physicians, and other resources that may be available depending on the market.
- Leads Super Huddle (SH) and Transforming Care Meeting (TCM) weekly, as well as supports Center Manager/Center General Manager. CMD partners with Center Manager/Center General Manager to co-lead center stand-ups and deliver exceptional patient care across their respective teams.
- Joins national director biweekly meetings and attends annual/biannual clinical leadership conferences.
- Plays an active role in the management of their center and will help cover for other providers who may be out for various reasons. Takes an active role as needed in recruiting patients for the center and additional providers for the company.
- Upon successfully making progress on attaining consistent primary care performance trending towards that of a ChenMed PCP Partner, maintaining trajectory of medical director training, the CMD will be asked to increasingly assume the role and responsibilities of a Senior Medical Director, which may include:
- Managing, mentoring and coaching PCPs in his/her assigned center to deliver outstanding clinical outcomes, including sampling other PCP’s daily huddles within their center
- Leadership rounding with the PCPs (reduced involvement of market clinical leader)
- Partnering with Center Manager/Center General Manager to drive continued improvement of center financial performance, and helping increase center membership
- Performs other duties as assigned and modified at manager’s discretion.
At ChenMed, If you are an innovative, entrepreneurial minded, over-achiever who is extremely passionate in helping people and revolutionizing Healthcare again, we are that dynamic and exciting company you are looking for!
After applying, we encourage you to "follow" us on LinkedIn (ChenMed) as well! This way you can stay informed and up to date on what’s happening around our organization and start your path to becoming part of our FAMILY!
ESSENTIAL BEHAVIORS AND SKILLS (for own panel initially and progressively is accountable for center):
- Availability and Accessibility to build trust from their patients. It is expected that CMDs will make themselves as available to their patients as possible by being open and available for walk-in visits and answering phone calls and messages in a timely manner
- Service Orientation: CMDs provide care that they would want for a family member or for themselves to each patient at every interaction
- Evidence Based Medicine: The CMD remains updated on evidence-based medicine, but also recognizes that factors outside of traditional medicine, like lifestyle and nutrition, have a large impact on patient health outcomes. The CMD stays up to date on clinical, nutritional, and lifestyle-based interventions to improve outcomes
- Physician Leadership is integral to good healthcare, so the CMD must be willing to continuously work to develop and improve leadership skills for the benefit of one’s patients, their team, their center and the company
- Quality: Our patients deserve the highest quality of care. This requires a willingness to work with the care teams towards achieving high quality outcomes and quality measures. At the same time, CMD will always be looking for ways to continuously and systematically improve their practice of medicine and the operations of their center
- Influence: CMD must competently and compassionately influence their patients, their teams, and themselves to achieve the best outcomes
- Self-Care: A CMD can take the best care of their patients when they are adequately caring for themselves physically, mentally, socially and spiritually. Physician wellness is important for sustainability and promoting the health of physicians, staff, and patients
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, plus a variety of other word-processing, spreadsheet, database, e-mail and presentation software as used in the company
- Ability and willingness to travel locally as needed in their market, if applicable, nationally for initial training (2 weeks) and then occasionally (up to 25%) regionally and nationally for recruiting or training purposes
- Fluency in English, verbal and written. There may be jobs in some centers that require fluency in other languages, and this will be made known at the time of application
- This job requires use and exercise of independent judgment
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE CRITERIA:
- MD or DO in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Geriatrics or similar specialty required
- Current, active MD licensure in state of employment is required
- Board Eligibility is required; Board Certification in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Geriatrics or similar specialty is preferred
- Once Board certified, CMD will maintain board certification in their terminal specialty by doing necessary MOC, CME and/or retaking board exams as required
- Must have a current DEA number for schedule II-V controlled substances
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required
- A minimum of two (2) years’ clinical experience in geriatric, adult or family practice setting preferred
- A minimum of two (2) to four (4) years’ clinical leadership experience is preferred
- May be an existing high performing PCP or PCP Partner at Chen Med with a proven ability to manage a panel of >350 patients with outstanding clinical, customer service and cost efficiency. Preferred to have been with the organization >2 years, be a recognized leader among peers, and be able to lead teams in quality and performance improvement initiatives
- Will need to successfully complete full medical director training prior to promotion to Senior Medical Director
COMPANY SUMMARY ChenMed, a physician-led and mission-driven, primary care organization, is currently one of the most successful full-risk Medicare Advantage providers in the nation and has a vision to be America’s leading primary care provider, transforming care of the neediest population. Our mission is to honor seniors with affordable VIP care that delivers better health. In order to achieve our vision and deliver our mission, we need the best primary care providers and clinical leaders that are seeking to fulfill purpose and personal opportunity and join the ChenMed family.
Get notified for similar jobs
Sign up to receive job alerts
Enter Email address (Required)
Get tailored job recommendations based on your interests.
Center Medical Director
Location St. Louis, Missouri, United States of America Category Physicians Posted Date 05/17/2021
Center Medical Director
Location St. Louis, Missouri, United States of America Category Physicians Posted Date 05/17/2021
Life at ChenMed
Meet Our Team
David Guerra MD, Medical Director