Case Mix Manager
Job ID: 91969
Area of Interest: Management
Location: Linthicum,MD US
Hours of Work: 8a – 5p
Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical System
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
Manages the daily functions of the Case Mix Oversight function of the Medical System’s Finance Division. The position is responsible for financial analyses, data trending & analysis and regulatory reporting.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Manages the reporting and monitoring of key financial functions which includes:
A. Manage routine reviews of Inpatient & Outpatient Case-mix data for correct coding opportunities.
B. Act as a liaison between Finance and hospital HIM and CDI departments (Clinical Documentation Improvement department) at each facility.
C. Develop new strategies for both Inpatient and Outpatient coding reviews to ensure proper reimbursement under Inpatient and Outpatient revenue constraint systems.
D. Coordinate UMMC coding audit process to ensure maximum return on investment.
E. Routinely evaluate 3M APG & APR grouping (3M Ambulatory Payment Group and All Patient Refined grouping) software for enhancement opportunities which will provide more appropriate reimbursement.
F. Manage staff in routine evaluation of abstract tape integrity.
G. Develop hospital specific processes to minimize impacts of PPC & PPR (Potentially Preventable Complications and Potentially Preventable Readmission) methodologies.
H. Manage staff in the routine evaluation of hospital charging practices and their impact on CPV (Charge Per Visit) performance.
2. Manages and directs a staff of Case-mix Coordinators who perform case-mix reviews and data analysis and reporting in accordance with departmental and UMMS personnel policies and procedures.
A. Performs individual performance evaluations and recommends and/or initiates disciplinary actions, as needed. Establishes clear and concise work procedures and expectations, assessing performance levels by monitoring results and providing positive and constructive feedback.
B. Assures timely and accurate completion of work by monitoring daily work activities.
C. Trains staff on new practices, and otherwise promotes staff professional development.
3. Prepares various reports for senior management as requested for review evaluation.
A. Manage routine case-mix reporting for all facilities for both Inpatient and Outpatient case-mix.
B. Coordinates case-mix/abstract reporting to the Health Services Cost Review Commission (HSCRC).
C. Routine reporting of financial impact of internal case-mix improvement initiatives.
D. Routine reporting of financial impact of various HSCRC methodologies related to case-mix/abstract data.
4. Communicates regularly with various cost/rates, budget and finance personnel to ensure optimal efficiency and effectiveness of financial reporting.
5. Communicates regularly with various clinical department heads to resolve patient charge system problems and questions.
6. Keeps abreast of current regulatory (Federal, State, HSCRC and TJC) information/guidelines and new, related hospital policies; communicates relevant changes and/or protocol and procedural revisions to staff. Implements appropriate department operational changes to ensure compliance.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Education and Experience
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Healthcare, Accounting, Finance or equivalent is required.
2. Six (6) years progressively responsible professional financial and/or reimbursement analysis experience, or equivalent, is required. In addition, three years supervisory/management experience is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Knowledge of HSCRC and Medicare regulations is required. Proficiency in preparing and analyzing financial data and implementing changes.
2. Highly proficient mathematical skills including calculating percentages, addition, subtraction, and multiplication are required.
3. Proficient knowledge of supervising, monitoring daily work activities, evaluating, training and motivating the performance of subordinate technical, professional and clerical support staff.
4. Advanced Microsoft Excel is required. Access skills preferred. Ability to operate a personal computer is required.
5. Proficient organization and problem-solving skills are required to develop/implement efficient work processes, and to successfully resolve difficult, conflict-oriented situations. Ability to work effectively in a stressful work environment. Ability to handle confidential issues with integrity and discretion.
6. Highly effective verbal and written communication skills are necessary to work with various clinical department heads, financial management and senior management staff and to supervisor professional and clerical staff.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
What I enjoyed mostly while working for UMMS is our leaders. Our leaders are kind and thoughtful and genuinely care about our patients, employees, and provide us great updates whether it's about a new policy, their vision for the organization, what we're doing in the community. It is truly a family and why I really enjoy working at UMMS.
All current and new team members, Medical Staff and partners, including contractors, volunteers and students, must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious exemption.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW