BW Vice President Associate Chief Medical Officer
Job ID: 96166
Area of Interest: Management
Location: Glen Burnie,MD US
Hours of Work: .
Job Facility: UM Baltimore Washington Medical Center
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
Vice President and Associate Chief Medical Officer
Location: Glen Burnie, MD
The Associate Chief Medical Officer serves as a member of the Executive Team and is responsible for oversight of Medical Staff Services and the Physician Enterprise at the University of Maryland Baltimore Washington Medical Center. The Medical Staff Services Department will report directly to the Associate Chief Medical Officer with responsibilities as described below. With oversight of the Physician Enterprise, the Associate Chief Medical Officer will work with the Vice President of Physician Services as a Dyad Partner and provide administrative and clinical oversight of the Baltimore Washington Medical Group, Baltimore Washington Emergency Physicians, and Baltimore Washington Heart Associates. Will also be responsible for contracted physician services including Emergency Department call and departmental coverage.
The Associate Chief Medical Officer will pay a central role in the following:
Culture – Provide leadership that foster a culture of clinical excellence, superior customer service, teamwork, collegiality, mutual respect and accountability among the providers and staff of the Physician Enterprise and the Medical Staff. Will develop and implement programs that instill, embed and sustain these cultural values, with specific emphasis on the following:
- The values and objectives of UM BWMC and UMMS
- The interdependence of UM BWMC providers
- Teamwork, trust and mutual respect among providers and staff
- Individual provider accountability for behavior/actions with colleagues and staff
- Excellence in patient service and support
Medical Staff Services – Provide oversight and direction to the Medical Staff Services Department involving:
- Medical Staff Joint Commission Readiness
- Harmonious Medical Staff relations
- Graduate Medical Education
Continuing Medical Education
- Clinical Quality Outcomes – Development of a comprehensive program that measures the clinical performance of each Physician Enterprise provider benchmarked against regional and national “best practices”, government standards, regional and national competition. The program will deliver to the Physician Enterprise providers clear metrics with goals, benchmarks and standards, regular progress reports, and opportunities for education in order to afford providers the ability to achieve their individual, UM BWMC, and UMMS goals.
- Enterprise Productivity – In conjunction with the Physician Enterprise leadership, work closely with providers in the group to ensure optimal clinical productivity, and establish and promote the objective measurement of such productivity using industry accepted norms (such as, but not limited to, work RVUs, clinical contact hours, and patient encounters)
- Financial Performance – With the Physician Enterprise executive leadership and the practice managers, work to optimize the financial performance of each provider and group practice within the Enterprise. This includes understanding and refining the revenue cycle for such practices, working with providers around individual and group efficiencies and productivity, assisting with the management of practice related expenses, and developing financial budgets for Physician Enterprise practices.
- Technology – In coordination with the UMMS IT team, and the Physician Enterprise clinical and administrative leadership, assist providers with the adoption of the EPIC electronic medical record platform and associated IT infrastructure. Promote the incorporation and use of EPIC and any other technology that would enhance the clinical, operational and financial goals of the Physician Enterprise and UM BWMC.
- Provider Employment and Physician Contracted Services Arrangements – Assist the UM BWMC Executive leadership team with the design and structure of provider employment agreements and physician contracted services arrangements, continuously evaluate existing contracts, and be involved in new or existing contract negotiations.
- Recruitment – Lead provider recruitment for the Physician Enterprise in coordination with the strategic plan of UM BWMC.
All employees are responsible for extending the mission and values of UM Baltimore Washington Medical Center by dedicating oneself to providing a broad continuum of quality health care services to improve the health status of the community we serve and its individual residents.
Reports to: Chief Medical Officer
Direct Reports: Director of Medical Staff Services
What You Need to Be Successful:
- M.D. or D.O.
- Board Certification
- Must qualify for UM BWMC Medical Staff Privileges
- At least 10 years’ experience as a practicing physician
- At least 5 years’ experience in health care management to include proficiency and expertise with quality, safety, risk management, practice management, utilization, healthcare information technology, credentialing, and interaction with healthcare regulatory agencies.
- License to practice medicine in Maryland
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
My name is Christina, and I'm a respiratory therapist at UM BWMC. At the height of COVID, I had actually joined the hospital as a clinical extern, and upon obtaining my license, I decided to join full-time. One of the reasons why I chose to join full-time was because, as a new grad, it was very important for me to have my voice heard and appreciated, which I definitely feel at this hospital. And in addition, it is a huge plus to have all the up-to-date technologies and equipment readily available for me to utilize. I love working here, and as a new grad, I couldn't have chose a better place to work.
All current and new team members, Medical Staff and partners, including contractors, volunteers and students, must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious exemption.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW