The Business Administrator in collaboration with the Department Chair, will serve as the administrative staff and business leader for the Department of Biomedical Engineering (BME). This position works closely with the Department Chair to ensure the department can achieve research, educational, and service goals.
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Health Administration, or related field of study and five years of progressive administrative, financial, and management experience working in an academic or business setting.
Licensure, Certification and/or Registration:
- Fosters a common vision and provides clear direction and priorities for designated areas of responsibility. Builds effective teams and fosters collaboration while committed to delivering quality services. Focuses on customer requirements, whether faculty, staff, student or external agencies by understanding and anticipating needs and taking action to meet them. Broadly considers internal and market / competitor factors in decision-making. Seeks input from others and makes sound, effective decisions. Balances departmental interests with larger organizational needs. Acts with integrity, demonstrating principled leadership and sound ethics.
- Designs and manages execution of work of department administrative staff, including delegation, negotiating obstacles, providing resources, coordinating efforts, and monitoring processes.
- Works closely with the Chair and institutional leadership to prepare comprehensive annual budgets and objectives / targets, directs personnel, identifies capital equipment, and manages to a variable budget. Prepares all academic monthly variance reports e.g. MOR (Monthly Operation Review) reports and reconciliation of accounts by reviewing multiple reports in Report2Web, PeopleSoft HR/Financials, and Healthstream.
- Assures the efficient and effective management of personnel in compliance with medical center policies and procedures, federal and state regulations. Provides direction to staff to meet regulations related to Human Resources, in-service education and job results management, sets standards for performance/competency, maintains effective staffing, hiring, evaluations, personnel development, and follows appropriate disciplinary procedures as necessary.
- Communicates effectively with faculty, research staff, and students, providing direction of research, educational and service policies and guidelines and keeps the Chair informed on issues and effectiveness of departmental and research operations, ensures faculty are consulted on operations specific to their individual sections, and involves the appropriate faculty in planning activities and operational oversight.
- Facilitates recruitment of faculty including preparing pro-forma, assisting the Chair with negotiation of packages and facilitating on-boarding of faculty. Support the annual faculty evaluation process and support faculty success and performance improvement planning.
- Working with the Chair and institutional directors; promotes continuous Quality Improvement focusing on reduction of errors through improved reporting and process improvement, seeks and listens to faculty, staff, and student input and concerns to identify improvement opportunities, utilizes benchmarking to identify opportunities for growth and improvement, completes monthly performance reports measuring profitability, productivity, quality and safety, and satisfaction.
- Coordinates and leads both short-term and long-range business strategic and operational planning. Supports institutional program planning for new facilities or programs as needed. Coordinates the compilation and preparation of programmatic and academic operational and financial reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations or conclusions. Communicates effectively with partner departments and interested parties regarding the outcomes.
- Assists with the Department's business intelligence needs. Creates processes to coordinate collection and distribution of data that meet those needs. Assigns accountable parties for monitoring the data / business intelligence as it pertains to the establishment and achievement of departmental goals and objectives. Creates, analyzes and manages an inventory of data types and sources available and generates business intelligence questions. Creates specific reports that address those questions, some of which would be incorporated into a monthly dashboard, and others which would be part of an annual reference update.
- Coordinates the effective administration of the academic mission to include graduate education.
- Responsible for pre- and post-award submission and administration of departmental contracts and grants in accordance with sponsor's requirements regarding records, reports, controls and conditions governing expenditure of funds. Handle facilities assignments, relocations, and access to shared equipment.
- Integrates educational and research missions to maximize performance of each in accordance with department goals. Prepares reports of department goals/achievements for the annual Dean’s report, and facilitates departmental integration with institutional centers, institutes and cores. Works collaboratively with funding and philanthropic agencies and departmental alumni to promote educational and research initiatives within regulatory standards. Participates/facilitates funding and IP discussions as needed.
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must complete the application process and then submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button located at the bottom of the page titled "Submit Online Application". You will receive the following message once you hit the submit button: "You have successfully submitted your job application".
Computers are available for applying within the lobby of the Human Resources Department located at 1920 West First Street, (on the corner of Miller and First Street) Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27104. You may also call our office for assistance at (336) 716-6464. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact our Supervisor of Office Services by phone (336) 716-3367 or email at email@example.com.
It is the policy of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center to administer all educational and employment activities without discrimination because of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status (except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification or a statutory requirement) in accordance with all local, state, national laws, executive orders, regulations, and guidelines.