Behavioral Health Assoc
Job ID: 84764
Area of Interest: Allied Health
Location: Baltimore,MD US
Hours of Work: 7a-5:30p or 10a-8:30p + alternating weekends
Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical Center
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
I. General Summary
Under direct supervision of professional licensed staff, performs delegated care functions to patients with diverse psychiatric/mental health and substance abuse disorders. The Behavioral Health Associate (BHA) engages in therapeutic activities and interactions with patients while following the established unit and hospital policies to ensure appropriate care delivery and provide a safe and recuperative milieu environment.
- II. Principal Responsibilities and Tasks The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified and may perform additional functions and other activities assigned.
- Maintains milieu management through therapeutic psychiatric interventions as outlined by the treatment plan. Interventions contributes to patient emotional, intellectual, and developmental growth.
- Prepares, organizes, and leads proficient psycho educational groups and specialty groups appropriate to patient population and developmental age.
- Maintains milieu management and uses crisis de-escalation strategies to reduce destructive and disruptive patient behavior and ensure the safety of patient, self, and others. Recognizes early warning signs of worsening patient behaviors and intervenes appropriately.
- Participates as a member of the multidisciplinary team by participating in meetings to provide input on patient progress.
- Communicates effectively with health care providers and licensed staff regarding patient progress to ensure continuity and coordination of care and to report changes in patient’s condition.
- Documents patient observations in accordance with hospital standards in formats such as checklists, flow sheets, or narratives.
- Participates in family/patient visits to ensure safety and positive outcomes for both the patient and family through intervention and suggestion of activity. Observes and provides feedback/teaching to family caregivers during visits.
- Assists in admitting, transferring and discharging patients by orienting patients to the unit, assisting with transport of patient and belongings to and from admitting, discharge and other areas of the hospital as necessary.
- Participates in mandatory hospital/department in-services training activities and staff meetings.
- Maintains strict patient medical record confidentiality in accordance to hospital/unit policy and federal Healthcare Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) regulations.
- Assists with the orientation of fellow staff members by explaining unit policies and procedures.
- Participates in Performance Improvement activities and acts as a contributing member of subsequent committees.
- Demonstrates support and compliance with UMMC mission, vision, values, philosophy, goals and objectives.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Education and Experience
- Minimum of an Associates degree in social science or education required, Bachelors degree preferred.
- Previous experience in mental health or social services preferred.
- CPR certification is required.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
- Follow us on