Assistant Director of Nursing
Assists the Director of Nursing Services in planning, organizing, developing, and directing the day-to-day functions of the Nursing Department in accordance with current Federal, State, and local standards, guidelines and regulations that govern the facility. Ensures that the highest degree of quality care is maintained at all times. Assumes the duties of the Director of Nursing in his/her absence as directed. Performs duties in compliance with Central Maine Healthcare service standards. Although this job description is intended to be as complete as possible, omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or is a logical assignment to the position.
- Develops, revises, and implements Nursing Department standards, policies and procedures, for all patient/resident populations, under direction of the DNS.
- Assures patient/resident rights by directing and/or providing care which considers
each patient’s/resident’s value and belief system.
- Functions as a patient/resident advocate providing information and assuring
confidentiality of information of records.
- Assists DNS in preparing and directing staff nurses to recognize potential problems,
mobilize resources, and take appropriate action.
- Directs staff in responding to complex patient/resident care priorities.
- Is a role model and facilitator for Nursing Department collaboration with
the interdisciplinary team.
- Ensures and maintains the competencies of the nursing staff.
- Collaborates with other members of the healthcare team to provide safe care to
- Ensures the safe administration of medications per protocols in conjunction with
- Collaborates with the DNS, Admissions Director, Case Manager and Medical Director on infection control issues, nursing care requirements, and psychosocial, behavioral, spiritual and cultural issues.
- Ensures the maintenance of a safe therapeutic environment for patient/resident family.
- Assures implementation and integration of quality improvement activities and
implements corrective action when needed.
- Monitors the quality of all aspects of the medical record through open and closed
- Identifies specific aspects of care for quality improvement monitoring and participates
in data collection activities as appropriate. Monitors results.
- Serves on, participates in, assists DNS, and attends various committees as directed
in the facility/unit as appointed including: Infection Control; Pharmacy, Medical Staff,
Quality Improvement, and Restraint Reduction.
- Communicates knowledge formally and informally to meet needs of patient/resident and staff.
- Acts as consultant and/or participates in the development of interdisciplinary
patient/resident education teaching plans.
- Advises and/or assists staff in developing teaching plans for patients/residents with
- Coordinates the development, implementation, and evaluation of the facility/unit orientation program.
- Assists in identifying staff learning needs and in the development and implementation of educational programs for staff.
- Utilizes advanced nursing expertise serving as a resource consultant, role model, and facilitator for staff.
- Orients management staff as needed.
- Cultivates a network of contacts within the healthcare community to represent nursing and promote continuity of care between the facility/unit and other healthcare providers.
- Responsible and accountable for coordinating patient/resident care and overseeing
completion of the M.D.S. for the facility/unit, as assigned by the DNS.
- Monitors staff compliance with mandatory in-service; assures documentation of in-service education attendance, as assigned by DNS.
- As directed by DNS: Evaluates or participates in the evaluation of clinical competency
of personnel and makes recommendations to improve quality of care.
- Directs nursing personnel in emergency situations.
- Evaluates the provision of support services and makes recommendations to improve
the quality of care.
- Evaluates nursing practice and care delivery system and makes recommendations
- Informs other departments about pertinent patient/resident care data or special
patient/resident problems as appropriate.
- Intervenes in team member and/or visitor incidents and implements facility/unit policies and procedures as indicated
- Completes team member performance appraisals as directed. Recommends/takes corrective
action as appropriate.
- Assists in the implementation of new/facility programs and services.
- Establishes on-call schedule; works weekend/holiday as needed.
- Assumes responsibility for narcotics and controlled drugs.
- Ensures that nursing requirements for accreditation and licensure are met.
- Assist with all admission into the facility.
- Assist the facility with strategic goals.
- Attends all COVID education and assist D.O.N with implementation of all COVID19 related infection control strategies. Including, conducting ongoing universal testing, monitoring compliance, and assisting with any COVID units.
- Required to provide RN floor coverage when staffing warrants this coverage.
- Assumes duties of the DNS in his/her absence.
Education and Experience:
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing with a BSN preferred or L.P.N with five or more years’ experience.
- Holds current registered nurse license in state of Maine.
- Two (2) years in management/leadership position in addition to long term care experience is preferred.
- Acute/Rehabilitation experience preferred.
- Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Knowledgeable of nursing and medical practices and procedures, as well as laws, regulations and guidelines that pertain to long-term care.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action.
- Ability to deal tactfully with personnel, patients/residents, family members, visitors, government agencies/personnel and the general public.
- Possess leadership and supervisory ability and the willingness to work harmoniously with professional and nonprofessional personnel.
- Ability to plan, organize, develop, implement, and interpret the programs, goals, objectives, policies and procedures, etc., that are necessary for providing quality care.
- Seeks out new methods and principles and be willing to incorporate them into existing nursing practices.
- Relate information concerning a patient’s/resident’s condition.
- Ability to engage patients and team members utilizing the CMH Experience Standards:
- I am creating a warming, caring, and non-judgmental environment.
- I am actively listening and seeking information.
- I am honest, truthful, and consistent.
- I am respectful, treating all individuals with dignity and empathy.
- I am serving as a role model, taking both initiative and ownership when appropriate.
- I am working collaboratively and demonstrating teamwork.
- I am resilient and adapt to change in positive ways.
- Serve as the champion of the patient and team member experience by providing an A+ experience to every patient and team member, every day.