State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Assistant Clinical Manager, Chemistry Lab
Affiliated with Harvard Medical School, the Department of Pathology conducts research in the further characterization of disease processes and trains the next generation of pathologists.
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 42616BR
Job Summary: Assistant Clinical Managers are responsible for delivery of effective laboratory service by providing an environment that supports the productivity, competency and morale of technical and support staff. With the Clinical Manager they are responsible for all operations in their laboratory including training, scheduling, mentoring and assessing staff performance. They promote ongoing quality improvement in their section and Pathology. They work as a team with other intra and interdepartmental management staff to provide consistent quality service to our customers.
- Responsible for the day to day clinical operations in their lab; working under the direction of the Clinical Manager and directing the activities of the Pathology Team Leaders and Medical Technologists.
- Responsible for scheduling, ET management, and inventory control and ordering under the direction of the Clinical Manager.
- Ensure staff are trained with documented competency in their section, meet clinical demands and provider expectations for workload, including meeting turn around time expectations. They work with Pathology Team Leaders to ensure appropriate scheduling and to manage fluctuating workflow.
- Provide input into staff performance reviews. They will address employee concerns and suggestions to maintain high morale. They acknowledge good performance and coach staff who are under performing.
- Oversee instrument validations and act as project managers on the business side for any new equipment, addressing all related issues including information systems. They ensure change is effectively communicated and controlled.
- Under the direction of the Clinical Manager, will maintain compliance with all accrediting and regulatory agencies (CAP, CLIA, JCAHO) and discipline specific such as AABB, etc standards including quality improvement training, documentation, procedure review and revision, proficiency testing, safety and competency.
- Ensure policies and procedures are implemented and updated as required to provide optimal results. The Assistant Manager will follow all department and Medical Center policies and procedures and ensure staff compliance.
- Will actively participate in continuous quality improvement for their section, the department and the medical center. They will act as the department specific champion for all QI/QA projects.
- Has the authority to direct and support employees daily work activities. Has authority to undertake or recommend the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: None Indirect Reports: None
- Assists in planning, monitoring and/or managing budget in functional area of department.
- Bachelor's degree in Medical Laboratory Science required.
- Registration ASCP Registered preferred., or Certificate 1 NCA Certification preferred., and MT(ASCP), CT(ASCP), HT(ASCP), or equivalent certification
- 3-5 years related work experience required and 1-3 years supervisory/management experience required
- Successful completion of one year of clinical internship or Baccalaureate in a Life Science with course work and/or appropriate to the laboratory guidelines of CLIA 88.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions with significant, broad implications for the management and operations of a major department or multiple departments. Participates in decisions on overall strategy and direction of the organization.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are broad, complex and abstract, often involving Medical Center-wide issues and requiring substantial creativity, resourcefulness, staff engagement, Lean diagnostic techniques, negotiation and diplomacy to develop solutions.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set direction and vision for major departments or multiple departments. Establishes priorities, develops policies and allocates resources.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate complex information in English effectively in writing to all levels of staff, management and external customers across functional areas.
- Oral Communications: Ability to verbally communicate complex concepts in English and address sensitive situations, resolve conflicts, negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
EOE StatementBIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
VaccinesAs a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
BIDMC is proud to be recognized LinkedIn as one of their Top Companies Boston
Primary Care Virtual Hiring Event – RSVP Now
Recognized in 100 Great Hospitals in America
How to Apply