Ambulatory Informatics and Business Integration Manager (Hospital Operations Experience)
Job ID: 86068
Area of Interest: Information Technology
Location: Bel Air,MD US
Hours of Work: M-F, 8a – 5p
Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical System
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
Under general administrative direction from the Sr. Director of Ambulatory Informatics, the Ambulatory Informatics and Business Integration Manager is accountable for the delivery of value-added health care informatics and technology which supports the strategic plan of the organization and achieves clinical, financial and service quality objectives. To achieve this objective, the Manager of Ambulatory Informatics and Business Integration organizes and manages teams, risks, costs, and communication at all levels of the organization. This role is accountable for the quality of informatics services delivered, for the competency and performance of the ambulatory informatics team, and for designing and maintaining systems to support multidisciplinary team functioning and continuity of services within UMMS. Leads and assists leadership in the planning, development and on-going management of programs and projects consistent with UMMS and local strategic goals. Coordinates and provides support in evaluation, integration and training related to implementation and operational issues of IST applications. The Manager also leads key organizational project teams and work groups.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Develops, manages and evaluates the delivery of health informatics services in complex ambulatory settings which enables the effective obtainment of clinical, financial and service quality objectives.
A. In collaboration with ambulatory stakeholders, assesses requirements for health informatics to meet changing patient population requirements. Plans strategies and services to meet UMMS objectives. Communicates long and short term plans and objectives to staff.
B. Ensures excellence of health informatics service, including meeting or exceeding medical system requirements, improving clinical outcomes and achieving productivity and expense reduction goals. Assures that programs, services and staff performance meet regulatory requirements and professional standards.
C. Develops effective administrative, coordination and communication systems. Ensures effectiveness of department operations.
D. Provides support and coaches stakeholders in effective process analysis and improvement techniques and in using data to assess and improve performance. Collaborates with multidisciplinary team members to assess, redesign and continually improve effectiveness and productivity of clinical programs.
E. Anticipates and identifies complex ambulatory business and clinical process and informatics issues, monitors and measures the risk factors. Communicate risk factors to executives and stakeholders. Manages projects to ensure the implementation of continuous quality control of process and deliverables.
F. Builds effective networks of internal and external subject matter experts including executives.
G. Meets with stakeholders and executives to review solutions and issues and to gain commitment on recommendations.
H. Identify barriers to change and accept and manage ambiguity/complexity. Effectively guides teams in dealing with change barriers and program constraints.
2. Actively participates in outpatient driven business and clinical development for system approaches and products at the UMM System level, per the direction of Ambulatory Leadership.
A. Identifies risk areas for outpatient approaches.
B. Manages system approaches to enhance the patient experience and the coordination across multiple teams throughout the system.
C. Facilitates key stakeholder discussion and response to issues which impact clinical practice, care delivery, and business and revenue cycle.
D. Facilitates the communication and translation of regulatory and IT requirements between departments.
3. Assumes a leadership role in managing the quality of services provided within the organization.
A. Implements systems to assess and respond to customer perceptions of service. Is visibly involved in obtaining customer feedback, incorporating customer requirements into service design and requiring staff performance which meets customer requirements.
B. Implements systems to manage and improve the performance of processes.
C. Educates and coaches staff in effective process analysis and improvement techniques and in using data to assess and improve unit performance.
4. Manages human and fiscal resources to meet financial goals and achieve identified outcomes.
A. Effectively participates in the development, communication, monitoring and management of department salary, non-salary and capital budgets.
B. Assures maximal effectiveness and efficiency of staffing plan for department.
5. Develops and implements strategies which support departmental excellence.
A. Develops and implements effective human resource management strategies.
B. Directs systems for recruitment, selection, orientation, competency validation, professional development and staff recognition.
C. Creates effective performance management systems which provide clear expectations to staff in all roles, support staff participation in peer feedback and effectively address individual and group performance outcomes.
D. Creates an atmosphere which fosters team work and open communication among staff. Models effective behaviors as a facilitator, coach and group leader.
E. Creates a department based climate which values and supports diversity and demonstrates career development and promotion of minority staff.
6. Actively engages with operational leadership with all outpatient centers.
A. Advises operational opportunity for efficiently and effectively leveraging information applications and tools, develops a framework for analyses, make recommendations, facilitates action plans, and supports implementation in collaboration with local ambulatory leadership.
B. Functions as liaison between ambulatory stakeholders and when there are interdepartmental issues or discussions regarding operational and technical issues, internally and externally.
C. Facilitates resolution of issues to ensure efficiency, safety, quality, and stewardship.
D. Actively participates in process improvement and change management efforts.
7. Supports innovation in clinical practice and care delivery systems by staying current with innovations and literature in healthcare informatics and care delivery. Disseminates and incorporates research findings into practice.
8. Effectively uses, interprets, applies and communicates data and information from multiple sources which effect medical center programs. These data sources include financial reports, clinical and service quality data, human resource data and information from the external market. Effectively interprets changes in key indicators for staff and directs staff in applying information to changes at the unit level.
9. Interprets organizational goals and objectives to staff. Translates organizational mission, values and priorities into goals and objectives at a departmental level. Identifies implications of external environment for the organization and unit. Facilitates staff discussion and response to issues which effect healthcare practice and care delivery.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Education and Experience
1. Bachelor’s degree in Business, IT, Health Care Administration, Nursing or a related field required, or equivalent experience.
2. Three to five years of experience in a patient care setting, preferably ambulatory.
3. Minimum of three to five years of progressively responsible project management, planning, financial analysis, or strategy development experience. Healthcare-related background is preferred.
4. Where applicable for Clinical Roles, clinical licensure in the State of Maryland or eligibility for licensure due to Compact state agreements is required.
5. Implementation experience with electronic health record, registration, scheduling and billing applications/system and/or previous experience in an enterprise wide system implementation is preferred.
1. Demonstrated proficiency in project management techniques and coordination of resources.
2. Demonstrated leadership capabilities to include coordination with many levels of personnel, ability to train and motivate personnel, and implement efficient work processes.
3. Demonstrated highly effective verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrated effectiveness as a group leader and participant. Demonstrated ability to collaborate with multiple members of the health care and administrative leadership team.
4. Ability to maintain confidentiality, work under pressure, handle multiple tasks and meet related deadlines
5. Demonstrated expertise with computer systems, data analyses and reporting is required.
6. Ability to work effectively in a matrix work environment.
7. Excellent organization skills, ability to prioritize own work and that of others.
8. The position requires that the Service and Behavioral Standards are exhibited at all times.
1. Weekend, shift work, holiday, on-call, and overtime may be required.
2. Work is primarily performed in a standard office environment.
Ensures patient safety in the performance of job functions and through participation in hospital, department or unit patient safety initiatives.
1. Takes action to correct observed risks to patient safety.
2. Reports adverse events and near misses to appropriate management authority.
3. Implements policies, procedure, and standards consistently in the performance of assigned duties.
4. Develops effective working relationships and maintains good communication with other team members.
5. Identifies possible risks in processes, procedures, devices and communicates the same to those in charge.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Pride encapsulates the journey in my life to where I am today. I'm a confident gay man, a proud father of three kids, and a happily married husband. I'm also one that believes my whole self is a unique creation of God. In my lifetime, we've had to fight for the right to marry who we love. We've had to fight for the right to be parents and adopt children. We've come a long way in the journey towards justice and equality, but Pride reminds me there's many more steps on the path. Right now Pride reminds me, especially in this time, of our trans brothers and sisters' fight. Right now they're encountering great struggles, and we must march together because we're more powerful together than are we are as one. Lastly, Pride reminds me that of all the struggles that we can overcome today, that's one less struggle that my kids will have to deal with in their lifetime.
All current and new team members, Medical Staff and partners, including contractors, volunteers and students, must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious exemption.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW