Center City, Philadelphia, PA
The advanced practice provider (Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant) within the acute care hospital setting works in collaboration with, and is an integral member of, a multidisciplinary health care team. The APP provides comprehensive care on the inpatient hospitalist service.
Assessment & Management
- Performs complete history & physicals and documents in the medical record.
- Orders and collects data using appropriate assessment techniques, relevant supporting diagnostic information and diagnostic procedures where indicated.
- The APP may serve as the first responder for both nursing and house staff in the event of patient status changes, orders, and in situations requiring procedural and resuscitative interventions.
- Assesses for risks associated with the care of the acute and complex chronically ill patient including: medication side effects, immobility, impaired nutrition, fluid and electrolyte imbalance, immunocompetence, invasive interventions and diagnostic procedures.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary health care team in making diagnoses of acute and complex chronic conditions.
- Manages diagnostic tests through ordering, interpretation, performance, and supervision.
- Formulates differential diagnoses by priority.
- Diagnoses complications and orders appropriate interventions
Formulates Plan of Care
- Identifies expected outcomes from diagnosis, and formulates and documents a plan of care to address complex acute and chronic health care needs.
- Utilizes evidenced based practice guidelines and protocols in an individualized, dynamic plan of care that can be applied across the continuum.
- Implements and modifies plan of care.
- Prescribes diagnostic strategies and therapeutic interventions.
- May perform advanced procedures consistent with privileges and competency validation.
Communication and Collaboration
- Maintains ongoing communication and collaboration with interdisciplinary health care team.
- Facilitates and communicates with patient, family and staff to promote continuity of care across the inpatient and outpatient continuum of care.
- Documents/dictates key components of patient's progress via daily progress note, transfer, and discharge summary, and or clinic note where applicable. (h&p, daily progress notes, plan of care, problem lists, procedure notes, acute event note, discharge summaries, in medical record per specific patient unit or service, death summary)
- Documentation is timely, meets acute care compliance standards and captures patient acuity.
- Demonstrates Professional Practice behaviors including: preceptor/mentoring, education and instruction of graduate students.
- Seeks opportunities for active engagement in research and the analysis of evidenced based practice.
- Actively participates in Advance Practice Grand Rounds and specialty specific meetings.
- Maintains CEUs, and membership in a professional organization.
National Board Certification as an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant
Jefferson Health delivers state of the art healthcare services to patients throughout the Delaware Valley and southern New Jersey. Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) provides more than 8,400 students from nearly 40 states and 40 countries with 21st century professional education. Combined, we have over 30,000 employees.
Jefferson Health, with 14 hospitals (seven are Magnet designated by the ANCC for nursing excellence) and 40+ outpatient and urgent care locations, offers a broad range of primary and complex, highly specialized care that touches the lives of more than four million patients annually. U.S. News & World Report has ranked Thomas Jefferson University Hospital among the nation’s best in eight specialties. Jefferson Health also includes the NCI designated Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center; it is one of only 70 such centers in the nation.
Thomas Jefferson University has ten colleges and three schools that offer more than 160 undergraduate and graduate programs. Our University is dedicated to inter-professional and transdisciplinary approaches to learning that offer a vibrant and expandable platform for professional education. Through this unique model, we are preparing our students for current and yet to be imagined careers.
As an employer, Jefferson maintains a commitment to provide equal access to employment. Jefferson values diversity and encourages applications from women, members of minority groups, LGBTQ individuals, disabled individuals, and veterans.