State City Organization
Let us find jobs for you based on your LinkedIn profile.
Administrative Assistant III
Req ID: 39984BR
Job Summary: Provides secretarial and administrative support to a director or other leadership position(s) in a department and requires in-depth knowledge of the department's programs and services. Involves extensive interaction with diverse populations including the public, visitors, patients and families, external customers, medical practitioners and medical center staff.
- This position interacts with the public, community stakeholders and staff.
- Organizes and schedules public and community meetings in addition to other department sponsored programs and events. This includes scheduling of rooms and room set up with AV/Media equipment when necessary.
- Tracks expenses and prepares budgets for the department. Performs routine clerical duties, such as opening and sorting mail, photocopying materials and sorting, collating and distributing documents.
- Answers and screens telephone calls. Takes accurate messages or directs call to appropriate person. Greets and directs patients/families, visitors and staff. Responds to requests in a timely manner and provides clear and accurate information within scope of knowledge and authority.
- Types correspondence, forms, reports, manuscripts or other materials that may require complex formatting. Prepares documents with stylized formats, lettering or graphics using specialized commercial software, such as desktop publishing or graphics packages. Proofreads and edits materials for grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Schedules appointments and meetings and maintains personal calendars for manager/director(s). Organizes conference calls and meetings, sometimes with large numbers of participants. Reserves meeting locations and equipment. Prepares meeting agenda and other materials. Prepares travel arrangements as needed.
- Organizes and schedules conferences, seminars or other department sponsored programs or events. Coordinates all necessary arrangements: location, registration forms and fees, agenda, refreshments, materials and equipment.
- Communicates regularly with vendors, medical center staff, patients and visitors and other customers. Interacts with others to provide, gather and disseminate information, maintaining confidentiality as appropriate. Independently researches and follows through on a wide variety of requests.
- Maintains office supply inventory; orders office supplies according to established guidelines. Receives and reconciles supply orders and invoices, identifying and resolving delays, billing errors or discrepancies.
- Prepares, routes and tracks administrative forms and documents. Routes materials for required authorizations and monitors receipt by final destination. Communicates with other hospital departments to resolve delays and errors.
- High School diploma or GED required. Associate's degree preferred.
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
Share this Job
Working at this Location
Check out where you could be working if you apply.
Actor John Krasinski spreads some good news at BIDMC
BIDMC Named Top 25 Hospitals in the Nation to Work For
BIDMC recognized as a leader in “LGBTQ Healthcare Equality”
How to Apply