Job ID: 93801
Area of Interest: Professionals
Location: Linthicum,MD US
Hours of Work: M-F, 8a-5p
Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical System
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
Under supervision and general direction of senior level accounting personnel, perform intermediate level professional accounting responsibilities, including, but not limited to, preparing financial statements, journal entries, reconciliation of financial data, and preparation of financial reports from the General Ledger.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
• Assist management by preparing monthly financial statements based on general ledger trial balance, recording monthly standard entries, and recording periodic expense and/or revenue associated with daily operations in accordance with departmental procedures and generally accepted accounting principles.
A. Prepare monthly financial statements. Summarize financial activity for presentation to management (and the Board of Directors), including the Balance Sheet, Income Statement, Statement of Cash Flows and Statement of Changes in Fund Balance and supplemental schedules.
B. Reconcile subsidiary system activity and balances and/or business documents to general ledger control accounts, in the prescribed format, to demonstrate the integrity of the general ledger and to identify any correcting entries needed to properly state ledger balances.
C. Prepare monthly standard journal entries with supporting documentation.
D. Review designated functional area(s) and prepare and post any necessary month end journal entries.
E. Prepare effective and sometimes complex, account reconciliations with supporting documentation; research and follow up on differences from expected balance.
• Assist in the creation and production of analyses which provide various arrays of formats to present several different styles of financial data relationships, as directed by financial management staff.
Examples include, but are not limited to:
F. Compile statements and schedules of a financial and/or statistical nature. (i.e. monthly variance reports, full time equivalents reports, miscellaneous receivable aging analysis and daily cash analysis).
G. Maintain the subsidiary systems by posting transactions to the systems, generating reports, and maintaining all supporting documentation in a systematic manner.
• Provide assistance to and communicate with various affiliate departments regarding monthly accounting reports and other accounting-related documents/information to explain accounting department policies and procedures.
• Assist management in providing acceptable records and supporting documents to all internal and external auditors. Maintain various records, files, and supporting documentation for regulatory or other reporting purposes, including the annual audit and tax return preparation.
• Assist management in the implementation of departmental procedures.
• Keep abreast of regulatory (federal, state, Health Services Cost Review Commission, and The Joint Commission) changes/information/guidelines affecting hospital finance and accounting practices, as well as new and related UMMS Finance Shared Services policies.
• Assist Finance Shared Services management on special assignments as needed.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree with a major in Accounting, Finance, Business Management, or a related field is required. • Three years of experience performing professional accounting or auditing work is required.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
What I enjoyed mostly while working for UMMS is our leaders. Our leaders are kind and thoughtful and genuinely care about our patients, employees, and provide us great updates whether it's about a new policy, their vision for the organization, what we're doing in the community. It is truly a family and why I really enjoy working at UMMS.
All current and new team members, Medical Staff and partners, including contractors, volunteers and students, must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious exemption.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW